Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

IAMSAMMICH
Apprentice
Apprentice
Updated to the newest iOS app with the refreshed interface and both my wife and I are unable to hear audio on our baby monitor now. Please fix ASAP.
298 REPLIES 298
Zbyholx
Aspirant
Aspirant
We have the same problem! Spent an hour on the phone with them last night and reset everything and it still does not work!
Ttredwell
Initiate
Initiate
We are having the same issue. We now have our laptop running in the bedroom to get sound live. FYI another new issue is when you expand the video to full screen half the image is cut off..
How was none of this picked up in testing....
Zbyholx
Aspirant
Aspirant
The half screen issue we are having too. I can also use only one account with the Arlo baby and my wife’s account will not connect nor let me add it to the list of cameras.
Arlouser1234567
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo has an affirmative obligation to RESPOND to all customers with a work around regarding reporting no sound on their baby monitor due to the negligence of their quality controls and system testing prior to pushing notifications. The lack of response on their own COMPANY website is not only negliable but disgraceful; given the level of risks they are taking without backing out prior to GoLive, rescinding the change based on the series of customer feedback in last 48 hrs, or acknowledging this issue on their website and providing a work around. If sound is only capable with LTE, will Arlo be consuming the data costs for all of its customers? How will it look if something happens? If you are going to play in the business of children monitors, you better have the fortitude to stand before your core customer base PARENTS!!! Without them, you will not exists #truthanddontyouforgetit

fifthavegirl
Initiate
Initiate
Just another frustrated parent here saying ditto to the issue with no sound on my Arlo baby after updating iPhone/iPads. I’m also having issues with it refusing to connect. We’ve had issues with this baby monitor from day 1 and 10 months later it’s really disappointing to feel like I need to buy a new baby monitor.
dhpeter
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many of you are overdramatic cry babies who have no concept of technology development whatsoever.

Get a grip on reality and understand that mistakes happen. Even after testing. Deployment errors are a thing and they happen to everyone. They happen to Apple, Google, Amazon. You still use those products I am willing to bet.

They have acknowledged the error. They are fixing it. Deployments dont happen in minutes hours they could take days. It really was quite stupid to deploy on a friday, granted.

Guess I'll just have to sleep on the ground in my baby's room...get a grip. Yes. It's inconvenient. Yes, it's temporary. They'll fix this and in two more days you'll forget it even happened.

Prags
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don't know if anyone had replied. There are too many times to go thru. but this is what i noticed with my Arlo baby Cam after the update..

Try this.. May help---When i turn WiFi off on my iPhone 7 plus and log in to Arlo app on LTE (Verizon) to look at baby Cam, the volume works. But when i connect to WiFi on iPhone 7 plus, the voice doesn't come through.

Not sure if it'll help anyone but just wanted to let know.
Prags
Aspirant
Aspirant
HEY!!!
Watch the language..

I was just trying to let everyone know my experience with details. It was a genuine post. Sorry, if it didn't help u.
Lara09
Initiate
Initiate
I am so frustrated right now. I recently bought this product and after the update, I can’t hear my child. I can’t sleep.. I believe that amazon/ net gear should provide a refund to all customers or some kind of compensation. I have not been happy with this monitor in general and will tell others not to get it. This is the last straw.
DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice
Peter,

I think it’s a bit rough to have a go at everyone like that.

In all honesty, this isn’t a cheap baby monitor that we are talking about. Many people have forked out some $$ for it (I bought mine for $400 a year ago) compared with most under $100.

When you charge for a premium product, you need to deliver. Not to mention that in reality, netgear have been very quiet on the issue and the expected time frames for repair. Sometimes giving people some information and explanation of what’s going on can go a long way. Not everybody has the time to troll through forums to find the issue. Netgear have everyone’s email addresses... why not send an email ackknowledging the problem and the expected time for resolution.

Poor after purchase support...
freeradicalgav
Initiate
Initiate
For those who desire peace of mind but are limited to wifi, I recommend setting up the camera using Apple HomeKit. While this lacks the features of the Arlo app, it will at least provide a live audio feed overnight (while phone screen is on) while we wait for a fix.

Turning off wifi and using cellular is also an option if you have the data to burn and want to use the Arlo App.

For the record, the new “Head” icon in the bottom right corner of the video feed in the Arlo App is the new “Always Listening” button (plays live audio while screen is off).

Hope this is helpful for fellow users but looking forward to a prompt update from Netgear.
Interstaller555
Aspirant
Aspirant
So, after dealing with two nights of data suck, I was playing with my Apple home and HomeKit and remembered I can add Arlo baby to my “home”. Well, low and behold, when I access the arlo through the home app over WiFi it works! Great! Only caveat is that because the live stream isn’t integrated into HomeKit (thanks netgear, best in class my sass) the phone/iPad/whatever needs to stay on and the home app needs to be open and on screen. I did this on an old iPhone 6s (wife just upgraded) and paired it to a Bluetooth speaker and now I have a “real” baby monitor!

The good; no more data usage (lte, etc)
The bad; app has to stay open.
The silver lining; if you have an old iPhone or iPad you can set this up on that and you can regain control of your phone.

If there is a serious interest I will add a walkthrough on how to set this up.
Ext66
Tutor
Tutor

iOS app v. 2.6.0 is not working! Please release a fix today or re release the old version until you can fix v 2.6.0.

many thanks!

Gemo3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Apparently since the last firmware update we were left without sound and with new icons...

Currently runing on version : 2.6.0.937_24489

As is, the whole device (service and experience) is usless in my opinion.

Please reply on what can be done to revert to previous firmware, or patch, or solution.

Actionjax
Star
Star

@dhpeter wrote:

Many of you are overdramatic cry babies who have no concept of technology development whatsoever.

Get a grip on reality and understand that mistakes happen. Even after testing. Deployment errors are a thing and they happen to everyone. They happen to Apple, Google, Amazon. You still use those products I am willing to bet.

They have acknowledged the error. They are fixing it. Deployments dont happen in minutes hours they could take days. It really was quite stupid to deploy on a friday, granted.

Guess I'll just have to sleep on the ground in my baby's room...get a grip. Yes. It's inconvenient. Yes, it's temporary. They'll fix this and in two more days you'll forget it even happened.

Guess you missed the point here. This is not some just some device for many. This is a baby product marketed as such. The expectation when we trust a product with our kids it goes though a higher level of quality control and testing. 

Its not not up to the consumer to accept what it takes to develop or maintain a technology. It’s not up to the consumer to care. No matter what the product is. It should be delivering of what is advertised and not fall short of those promises. 

Acknowledging the error is all fine and good but there should be a tool back of the app till it’s solved. That takes 24 hours to prep the code back to the App Store. If it was my company it would have been done already. Yes we have had issues and we had an emergency roll back in 24 hours. Not days. 

This is is clearly a lack of testing as it is an obvious error. The tested I am sure with their other cameras and all the new features. But zero regression on older products. This is obvious. 

So so before you start to troll others on here you need to come to grips with how serious this actually is. This is a BABY PRODUCT. And if you want to play in that space you need to do better. Any manufacturer would be expected to do that. 

AndreSaikai
Aspirant
Aspirant
I noticed that if you change your WiFi to regular cellular internet, the sounds works. Only when it is connected to WiFi it does not works.
I hope they can fix this issue ASAP .
Sbeck2580
Aspirant
Aspirant
This has been broken for 3 days. I called customer service and they said they’d put me on a list to get mine fixed in next 24 hours (after keeping me on hold for 20 mins). This is unacceptable and there should’ve something Arlo does for all affected users to make up for the fact that we cannot use a monitor for a baby without sound.
dhpeter
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Actionjax wrote:

Guess you missed the point here. This is not some just some device for many. This is a baby product marketed as such. The expectation when we trust a product with our kids it goes though a higher level of quality control and testing. 

Its not not up to the consumer to accept what it takes to develop or maintain a technology. It’s not up to the consumer to care. No matter what the product is. It should be delivering of what is advertised and not fall short of those promises. 

Acknowledging the error is all fine and good but there should be a tool back of the app till it’s solved. That takes 24 hours to prep the code back to the App Store. If it was my company it would have been done already. Yes we have had issues and we had an emergency roll back in 24 hours. Not days. 

This is is clearly a lack of testing as it is an obvious error. The tested I am sure with their other cameras and all the new features. But zero regression on older products. This is obvious. 

So so before you start to troll others on here you need to come to grips with how serious this actually is. This is a BABY PRODUCT. And if you want to play in that space you need to do better. Any manufacturer would be expected to do that. 

I fully understand the point, since i am an affected customer as well. It takes 24 hours to update code - once the fix has been identified, written, QA'd ( which maybe they're doing this time since they didn't do it last time ), deployed. It's a baby product but it's also a smart product which most if not all have some issue or another at some point. Updates are not going to please everyone. Nest has had horrible interface since day one. I STILL have to view video in real time and cant scrub worth anything. But i still use it because it's better than their competitors. Though I am waiting to justify Arlo Pro 2 and get rid of Nest.

Everyone just sounds so damn entitled on here. If they said "hey it's a feature not a bug" then I would understand. Or if they put background listening behind a paywall....now these are legitimate issues. But right now, we have a bug, likely fixable, and maybe they are now doing their due diligence to test everything they need to. I'm confident they're fixing it as fast as the can.

Actionjax
Star
Star

@dhpeter wrote:

@Actionjax wrote:

I fully understand the point, since i am an affected customer as well. It takes 24 hours to update code - once the fix has been identified, written, QA'd ( which maybe they're doing this time since they didn't do it last time ), deployed. It's a baby product but it's also a smart product which most if not all have some issue or another at some point. Updates are not going to please everyone. Nest has had horrible interface since day one. I STILL have to view video in real time and cant scrub worth anything. But i still use it because it's better than their competitors. Though I am waiting to justify Arlo Pro 2 and get rid of Nest.

Everyone just sounds so damn entitled on here. If they said "hey it's a feature not a bug" then I would understand. Or if they put background listening behind a paywall....now these are legitimate issues. But right now, we have a bug, likely fixable, and maybe they are now doing their due diligence to test everything they need to. I'm confident they're fixing it as fast as the can.

I'm glad you are confident with a company or a product that has quality issues. And are happy with "They are doing their  best". Good news is I only bought mine 1 week ago today and was fine with dealing with little anoyances. I can return mine back to Amazon anytime. Not everyone has that luxury.

This is not just a bug. This is actually destroying the product for what it was suposed to do. Listen if they all of a sudden had a bug where I can't use the light or if I can't play audio through the microphone I'm ok with that. I'm even fine with if the alerts were not working. I can get around it. But killing the ability to hear the baby is a major issue.

Also they should be rolling back the version to everyone. This is less than 24 hours to get done. They would need to pay Apple for that but it's an option. At least pull the app off the app store so more people don't destroy their device. But none of that has happened.

You can defend them all you want but to be honest it's brutal for something to take this long to get people back online. In this day and age people expect companies to deliver what they advertise. Netgear and Arlo are not my friends. They are a company who took my money in good faith. Therfore I expect them to in good faith proviode what they said they would. Alway and without question. I don't need to be paitent with them. They didn't pay me for that privelage or give me a portion of my money back. If they did then we can talk.

Sye46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I work in a medium sized IT company that has customer facing applications.  And anything that is customer facing will be resolved by the same day, even if it means rolling back.  There is no reason why they can't remove the new version of the app from the apple app store and put back the original version.  Customers can uninstall the new version and reinstall the old version.  

Changes are not allowed in my company unless there is a same day rollback implementation in place.  

dhpeter
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are workarounds. I used the wifi off wifi on last night. I woke up this morning at i could still hear the white noise from my daughters room. 

I'm not defending that it's a critical bug. It is. It needs to be fixed ASAP. I haven't had the camera that long but I still think it's the best option out there, especially if you want to see "Hey how did the shutters get opened?" and look back in your video.

I do think it would go a long way to offer a month credit for the 24 hour viewing or whatever plan people have - or something if they dont have that.

But maybe I'm just lenient because it's the first actual issue i've had from Arlo or maybe because I help develop an iOS app too...I can understand people's frustration but at the same time some of these comments are a bit whiney i guess. Whatever. 

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice
You’re being far too lenient here. This update broke core functionality of the monitor. The outcry severity is a product of months of frustration at the ineptitude of the dev team. I’m glad you’re satisfied with the device, but the response to significant t software issues has been glacial and without adequate communication.

Isn’t Arlo a publicly traded company now? They chose to enter the baby space, this isn’t just some glitchy home camera.
LivsMama
Tutor
Tutor
I couldn’t agree with you more! Yes, they are publicly traded and a sister company Netgear! Big fail on their part getting into the baby monitor space if they cannot support the needs adequately.
CrystalP
Aspirant
Aspirant

Updated the arlo app to version 2.6.0. I have an iphone 6s and IOS 12.0.1. since the update I am unable to hear audio. tried deleting app and adjusting vol controls with no luck. still unable to hear anything. There is only sound on recorded video. Please fix asap!

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Welcome to the echo chamber.