Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Porembamike
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,

Purchased a new powerful wi-fi 6 router and upon connecting the Arlo baby devices to the new router i have been noticing what i can only describe as colorful pixilation on both baby cameras.  Troubleshooting with the router manufacturer has yielded no results even after various troubleshoot methods.  I doubt it's the router due to the fac that the Arlo Video Doorbell has been working fine.  Anyone else have this issue and how to mitigate?

I have already tried the steps outline in this article My Arlo Baby video stream is pixelated; what do I do?

8 REPLIES 8
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Porembamike,

If you're still having this issue, try to power cycle your Arlo Baby camera to see if that helps. You can read here to learn how: How do I power cycle my Arlo Baby camera?

Otherwise, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Porembamike
Tutor
Tutor

Jessica

Appreciate the feedback but we are beyond just a basic power cycle. There is something else at work here either hardware or software related. Support has been contacted.

Inf3cted_Worm
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey!

So for the first time ever, and just coincidentally as I was checking for the change log, I may actually be able to help!

So I’ve experienced this and went down a big rabbit hole. Just before delving into things, if you switch back to the old router does it improve?

I stumbled across some weird pixelation with ours after upgrading to an Asus RX-AX89X Wifi 6 router. Now I can’t 100% narrow down exactly what fixed it because the frustration led to a bit of a Hail Mary and I haven’t eet changed back any settings to narrow down further. But here’s some ideas to try out:

QoS policy adjustment, I made it so it would prioritise the Arlo baby traffic. This is a “Gaming” focussed router and by default a lot of the 2.4Ghz traffic may be getting squashed.

Channel switching. Good idea to run a channel analyser if you have one built into your router, or just an app on your phone. I changed to a channel with a lot less noise and competition.

Basically just those two, I’d fiddled with the QoS previously and didn’t notice much but before the last router reboot I went full hog prioritising arlo baby and switched channels and it’s worked great ever since.

I hope that helps out a bit, I know how frustrating it can be. And if it doesn’t help I hope someone else has some great ideas!
Porembamike
Tutor
Tutor

Hey,

Thank you for the reply.  I haven't tried the old router again, but since they worked better my guess is that the issue would be resolved to what it used to be. I am glad you mentioned the type of router because I am coming from an ASUS WIFI5 router and thought about going to an ASUS WIFI6 but chose this other brand instead. Some reassurance that the ASUS WIFI6 router had similar issues. 

I'll play around with the WIFI channels and see if that helps (we live in a congested area, so no high hopes there) and will also try a more enhanced QOS setting to see if they get prioritized better. Appreciate the heads up!

ScottyGB83
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the exact same issue. I have 2 Arlo Baby's and I'll admit they have never been perfect, I get the odd disconnect here and there but I upgraded to the Netgear Orbi WIFI 6 router last week and since then both cameras are basically unusable. I have pixelated images constantly and cameras disconnect every few mins. Most times they come back after couple mins but others are permanent and only way to get back is power cycle cameras. Both cameras have recently installed 1.10 update released on 3rd May so not sure if that's the issue here as I replaced router at similar time.

Being an IT guy I have checked WIFI channels and made no difference. All other WIFI devices are running fine. It's just the Arlo's with the issue.

If anyone finds a solution it would be great if they shared. I'm close to just selling the cameras and buying Nest cams instead.
Porembamike
Tutor
Tutor
ScottyGB83,

I was able to find a solution to make the cameras usable again. Not sure if the Orbi has this functionality or not but I created a strictly a wifi5 network and connected both cameras to that. Put my devices viewing those cameras on the same network and interference went away. They are usable again. Something with wifi6 is messing with them. Currently going through a ton of troubleshooting steps with Arlo and our wifi router support as well.

Hopefully that works for ya
ScottyGB83
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for reply Porembamike,

I disabled the WIFI6 function on the router and this has certainly improved things. I still get pixelation and disconnects but its at least useable. To be clear for anyone else reading this is the same WIFI network with same SSID, I just disabled the WIFI AX feature to turn network into WIFI5. Looks clear to me the cameras are having issues with WIFI 6 and require an update to resolve. Hopefully Arlo acknowledge the issue so people are aware. 

Talouin
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am also having this issue. Essentially any time something small moves in the camera's field of view there is major artifacting all throughout the video feed.

I do not have this problem with my other two Arlo cameras. Only with the Baby cam.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation