Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
neegal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I’ve got the Arlo Baby and whilst I’m generally happy with it there’s a terrible issue with the video quality which is ruining the videos. The videos start crisp and clear, but even with or without motion you can see the pixelation come and go. I can only think it's hardware or firmware issues as my wifi and internet is flawless?

I've tried at 720p and it doesn't fix it, but on a live feed what I do notice is the pixelation happens for 3-4 seconds, then it goes crisp, then another 3-4 secs of pixelating, then crips again. This cycle continues indefinitely......

The wifi I have is probably the best around, Google Wifi mesh network made up of 3 wifi points. The whole house is blanketed in wifi, and Arlo baby reports full signal bars.

The Internet is 70Mbps down, 17 Mbps up.

Viewing the live feed on the same wifi network via the app (iPhone5 9.0.3) also sometimes shows video interference (green blocks and glitch lines near the bottom of the screen.

Please can you help me with this issue? I'm on the latest app and firmware.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tunguyen
Tutor
Tutor

Hi @neegal@kungFuPanda,

We found that if your mobile device is connected to a 2.4GHz network and your Bluetooth is on, Arlo Baby live stream may show pixilation. This is unique to Arlo Baby as other Arlo cameras do not have local streaming (streaming over your wifi router). What you may want to try is to turn your Bluetooth off, or switch to the 5GHz band. 

We have a KB article here for your reference: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/My-Arlo-Baby-video-stream-is-pixelated-what-do-...

Thanks,

Tu

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Contact Netgear support and give them a video clip.....

it sounds like a key frame vs compression issue but may also be a location issue....as a test relocate the Baby and check with some more vids

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

neegal,

From your description, it sounds like it could be a signal strength issue. Does the camera show full signal strength in the app? How far away from the router (closest wifi point in your case) is the camera?

As a test, try moving the camera close to the router (within 4-5 feet) and test to see if you get the same results.

JamesC

neegal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

The camera is connected via the 5Ghz band to Google Wifi main router, which is approx 10-15 feet away (through 2 internal walls, same floor, different room.  The signal strength is 2/3 bars. I don't see an option to change the band to 2.4Ghz. As I understand it 5Ghz is higher throughput but short range, and 2.4Ghz lower but more stable and greater distance.

I have a Nest cam outdoor in the same room, any chance these two items are intereferring with each other?

The horizontal gfx glitches are also concerning....

I can't test location at the moment as the cam is in use so will get back to you on that one, but surely 2/3 bars is sufficient?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

neegal,

It is possible other devices could be interfering. In some environments 2/3 bars may not have any issues but from the symptoms you describe, it sounds very much like interference.

If you could test the camera in a different location, this may help isolate the issue. Please let us know.

JamesC

neegal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Could my Nest Outdoor Cam be interferring with the ArloBaby, it's currently in the same room?

I've also noticed holding my iphone in close proximity to the Arlobaby makes it give off a high pitched whine when logged onto the live view, is this normal?? Does anyone else experience this?

I've noticed that it doesn't matter where in the house I put Arlobaby, I always have 2/3 bars, yet if I remotely login via the webpage, it reports 3/3 bars......... app bug?

It could be a useful option to specify if the camera is to use the 2.4ghz band, or the 5ghz band to avoid any interference/stability issues.

Regardless, the camera still seems to be pixelly with moving subjects. I will monitor it more

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

neegal,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

If you need any additional assistance, you can reach out to me privately with your support case number and I will offer any additional feedback that I can.

JamesC

kungFuPanda
Tutor
Tutor

Experiencing the same issue.

Pixelation comes and goes for a couple of seconds. Viewing on an iPhone 6 plus with the latest iOS. Full signal reported from camera.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

neegal, kungFuPanda

I have opened and escalated a case based on your description of this issue. We will be reaching out to you soon to gather more information.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We have received a small number of reports about the image pixilation on the Arlo Baby when connected to an AT&T U-verse router model 5268AC. We are currently investigating this issue and found that the image quality is improved when connected to the 2.4GHz band.

JamesC

neegal
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James,

This is as I suspected, the problem is with the 5Ghz band. This can't be fixed on google wifi as we can't select the device band either via the Arlo app or via Google wifi app. Is this something we can change in future app versions?

I still get the pixelation/key frame issue anywhere in the house, it's not Google nest interference.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can change it in the Arlo app by specifying the SSID of the 2.4GHz band when prompted for which network to connect to.  You should also have your phone or computer on that SSID when doing this.

kungFuPanda
Tutor
Tutor

I can confirm that I am receiving the pixelation and am not on the 5 GZ network in my house. I am on the 2.4 GHZ network with full signal.

tunguyen
Tutor
Tutor

Hi @neegal@kungFuPanda,

We found that if your mobile device is connected to a 2.4GHz network and your Bluetooth is on, Arlo Baby live stream may show pixilation. This is unique to Arlo Baby as other Arlo cameras do not have local streaming (streaming over your wifi router). What you may want to try is to turn your Bluetooth off, or switch to the 5GHz band. 

We have a KB article here for your reference: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/My-Arlo-Baby-video-stream-is-pixelated-what-do-...

Thanks,

Tu

jjcox0831
Guide
Guide
I can confirm I get the same issue. My Google wifi reports that the arlo baby is on the 5GHz band and my Bluetooth is off for good measure. Any other ideas?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jjcox0831,

I would like to offer assistance. I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information on this issue.

JamesC

jjcox0831
Guide
Guide
I'm still experiencing serious pixelation on the video stream. It's extremely grainy when I zoom in which renders the high resolution useless. Wifi strength is showing 100% (Google wifi) and Bluetooth is turned off on my phone so no issues with the 2.4GHz band being shared. Camera is actually connected to 5GHz band.

Please help otherwise I'll have to return the device to best buy.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jjcox0831,

Zooming in will reduce quality. Do you experience pixelation when not zoomed in as well?

JamesC

jjcox0831
Guide
Guide

yes. understandable as its digital zoom and not optical.  i see it when zoomed completely out as well. mostly when zoomed out honestly.

stevopike
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can someone reach out to me about the same issue I have included pics below

IMG_5998[1].PNGIMG_5949[1].PNGIMG_5940[1].PNG

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

stevopike,

This could be an issue with WiFi interference or poor signal strength due to range. If you move the camera closer to your router, do you get the same results?

Do you see any difference in behavior if you connect the camera to 2.4GHz (or 5GHz if you are already connected to 2.4GHz)?

Also take a look here as you could be experiencing this issue: Arlo Baby with AT&T U-verse Router

JamesC

stevopike
Aspirant
Aspirant

dont think proximity is it, I have an orbi router and it is on the other side of the wall from the camera, actually it only happens on my phone, does not happen when i do it through the laptop.

And I don't know if the orbi has a way to select the 2.4 or 5, does it?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

stevopike,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information and open a support case on this issue.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation