Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
KSimon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the arlo baby for two years. Recently it has been displaying a message that reads, “Your device is not connected. Make sure it is plugged in or the battery is charged, and it’s connected to your router, and has a working internet connection.” The camera is always plugged in. I can close the app out and open it back up and it begins to stream again. We use the app on a Amazon fire tablet. I also have a connection issue with the app on my iPhone 11. This is not an issue with our internet as I can access all our other cameras on the app except the arlo baby. I am so frustrated because I cannot even monitor my daughter at night with this camera anymore as it’s constantly malfunctioning.

13 REPLIES 13
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi KSimon,

Is this happening when you're on WiFi and/or cellular data? Have you tried rebooting your Amazon Fire Tablet and iPhone 11 to see if that helps?

You can also try power cycling your Arlo Baby to see if that helps: How do I power cycle my Arlo Baby camera?

Papatte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

I face exactly the same issue. I bought an Arlo Baby cam in July 2018. Recently, since beginning of december 2020, after a period of around 30 minutes, my tablet says that "Your Device is Not Connected". I face the same issue with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. It is a serious problem for us: we use this cam as a baby cam and leave our tablet on all night. The fact that it disconnects very frequently makes it useless.

Killing the Arlo app on the tablet and restarting it fixes the issue ... until the next disconnection.

I tried to restart the camera and the tablets several times ... but the problem keeps appearing again and again.

It looks to me that the problem lies on the app rather than on the camera.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sébastien Sockeel/

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey Papatte,

If you still have the problem even after restarting your devices multiple times, contact the Support Team for them to help you further. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

KSimon
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I am using the fire tablet it is on wifi.  This happens at my home as well as my mothers home with the same camera and the same tablet but different wifi.  On my cell phone it happens on cellular and also on wifi.  I have powered everything down.  I have uninstalled and re-installed apps.  I have reset my camera.  It appears to be an issue with the actual arlo app itself as I can close the app and open it back up immediately and have no issues for a short period of time.  

KSimon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes!  It appears we have the exact same problem!  I use mine to monitor my two year old throughout the night and I wake up often with it completely shut off even when I use my iphone.  This happens every single night, multiple times.  It is so frustrating as up until now I have loved this baby monitor.  I reached out to tech support and they had me reinstall my device, which I had previously done several times, and it did not even last an hour before displaying the same message.  I agree it is something to do with the app as I can log in to other devices and view the camera fine while my tablet says its not connected.  

Megannolet12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Oh this is happening because Arlo updated their cameras to only allow live streaming for 30 minutes at a time. Not sure why Arlo isn’t fessing up to it on here, but we were having the same issue and had to buy new cameras (not Arlo) because they don’t plan on fixing this.
Papatte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Megannolet12,

If what you report is true, it would explain the behaviours of our cams. Do you have more info on this limitation and if there is a way to overcome it (e.g. paying a monthly fee for a smart plan or buying a new cam)?

@KSimon 

It looks like the app on iPads is more stable. Yesterday, I tried to use my iPad Pro (1st gen) to monitor my 2yo boy the whole night without interruption. I'll make another try in the next nights.

Megannolet12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo says that you can buy some type of package to allow for 24 hour recording. BUT I don’t know if that means you can live stream for longer than 30 minutes at a time and I’m not willing to pay every month after already paying $200 for the camera itself. It was streaming fine for me as well until I updated the app and then it stopped. But if your app is up to date and it continues working for you, please let me know as well because I still have the camera!
Megannolet12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Here are some responses I’ve received from Arlo

"The 30-minute streaming limit is implemented to avoid potential problems when a stream is accidentally left active. If you prefer constant recording from your Arlo cameras, you can purchase a continuous video recording (CVR) add-on plan."
Arlo

“ Hi Megan,

I am Russel from Arlo Support.

I was made aware that you are only able to stream for a maximum of 30 minutes for your baby camera.

I would like to inform you that what you are experiencing is expected behavior. There is a 30 minute live streaming limit.
Please check this link for more information: https://kb.arlo.com/000062226/Why-has-the-Arlo-app-stopped-live-streaming

If you want to monitor your child. I advise that you use the Always Listening feature of the baby cam.
Please check this link for more information: https://kb.arlo.com/1282664/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-the-Always-Listening-feature-on-Arlo-Baby”
Papatte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Megannolet12 & Ksimon,

It looks strange for me: who would design a baby cam that stops streaming after 30 minutes? It simply makes the product useless for 99.9% of the potential customers.

I'm a bit puzzled by the fast that this article was released in August 2019 and for me, the cam was live streaming until last month, November 2020.

I did a few more tests. It confirm that it worked fine with my iPad Pro 1st gen 3 nights in a row (Arlo app version 2.22.6 (1632) released on 8 dec 2020). On my Samsung Galaxy Tab tablets under Android, the stream stops continuously, the app version is 2.22.7_28285 released on 18 dec 2020.

I have also an iPhone and I'll also test it.

Megannolet12
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is interesting! My iPhone will also let me stream. Haven’t had a chance to test it all night yet. But I’m curious, will the next update make the tablet like the iPhone? Or the iPhone like the tablet? I also tried on my Samsung tablet and still it will not let me live stream for longer than 30 minutes. With the responses from Arlo saying “this is what you should be experiencing” though, I would assume the apple items will soon be next to stop live streaming??
KSimon
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can stream all night on my iPhone some of the time. Other times I will wake up and it will have shut off. But I can definitely stream longer than 30 minutes on my iPhone. The whole 30 minutes thing makes absolutely no sense for a baby monitor.
Papatte
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi folks,

To confirm that the problem was coming from a change in the Arlo app, I downgraded the version of the app on both my two Samsung tablets, Galaxy Tab S2 and S3 and I installed the version 2.20 that was released on 1 Oct 2020:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/arlo-technologies-inc/arlo-2/arlo-2-2-20-2_28190-release/

I could stream without interruption for more than 4h. The limitation/bug seems to have been introduced in a recent version of the app, as I can read from the numreous anrgy comments on the Play Store.

Papatte/

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation