Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Megannolet12
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Baby monitor has been displaying the message that it is no longer connected after about 30 minutes of being displayed on the tablet. It used to disconnect every now and then but would immediately reconnect and start streaming again. Now it will “disconnect” and will not start streaming again until I exit the app and re-enter it. I know it is not an internet issue because I can stream it on my phone even though it’s saying there is no connection on the tablet. I am preparing for baby #2 and would love to get another Arlo but do not want to waste my money if this issue is not fixable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

After last complaints and me testing same on Win 10/web I found out the Baby timed out at 30 mins +/-.

Mentioned it to Arlo and I was sent corrected info and I confirmed ,TMK, it is as follows...

ON remote access and web the Baby times out at 30min

On app ( tested ios /ipad mini ) AND on same network  it will not time out  ( tested this and ran for 2 hours without dropping out )  This was tested on last version of app before release on 4/9

Anyone seeing different ??

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

93 REPLIES 93
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Megannolet12

You can view streams from your Arlo camera for a maximum of 30 minutes. If you view a stream for longer than 30 minutes, the Arlo app will stop streaming. To resume the stream, simply press the play button again.

You can find more info here: Why has the Arlo app stopped live streaming?

Megannolet12
Aspirant
Aspirant
I guess I will have to buy a different baby monitor then. Absolutely no point in purchasing such an expensive video monitor if I can’t SEE the baby however long I want.
dbpcz
Initiate
Initiate

@ShayneS 

Is this a joke? 30 minutes only? Baby monitor? I can't believe what I've just read...

farbror_stig
Aspirant
Aspirant

Are you sure that the 30 min time limit is for the Arlo BABY? Because I can often stream for more than that and on my iPhone I don't think it will disconnect at all. It is basically unusable on the Samsing tablet though.

I also have the regular Arlos (wireless with battery) and I can understand them having a stream time limit to save on the battery, but a baby monitor that is pluggen in to a power outlet...? That's not very clever.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TMK, the Baby is the ONLY camera that will run longer than 30 mins....

I have run it for over 4 hours with constant streaming....

Unless some new FW messed this up, it should go and stay on

Megannolet12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Lol. Yes it was for the Arlo Baby. There have since been updated that have resolved the issue on my apple products.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just tested on a Win10 / web access...

35 mins before it went black screen!!

So obv, the FW / app /web acess has been changed to time out.  ( not as last time tested )

IMO, not good for a Baby monitor

RegretBuyingArl
Guide
Guide

I love how @ShayneS says you can stream for 30 minutes on the Arlo app before it stops, but doesn't clarify if that includes the baby monitor. After the constant issues with ours, and how horrible the devs, support, & mods are, it wouldn't surprise me one bit! Previously, that wasn't the case though, but now it takes 10+ minutes for our Android devives to connect (not exaggerating). When it does, it stays connected for 15 mins +/-, so we've been using my wife's iPhone for the past several nights. Except, she decided to update the app tonight (why?! She never updates her apps!), And now she has the exact same issue! Fitting... 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @RegretBuyingArl

I provided an article above, post #2 with further information regarding live streaming on multiple cameras. The model numbers for the affected cameras are listed in the article at the top. I have provided another link here: Why has the Arlo app stopped live streaming?

Thank you

madlive
Initiate
Initiate
Dear Shane,

Thanks for your answer. But this completely defies the use of the camera as a baby monitor. Too be honest the Arlo doesn't do a good job in that area, looking at the price but cutting the stream after 30m is a bit beyond me. Can understand you want that for a security camera but this is a baby monitor. Would be great if you could clarify the choice for this model a bit better.
pakamitch
Tutor
Tutor

My wife always had ours monitoring through the night.  My biggest problem was never it timing out but rather dropping the network.

If they did add the 30 minute timeout, just wait for it, next they will say if you pay for a subscription it will included continuous streaming.  Such a joke.  I did a bunch of research to justify overpaying for this baby monitor, and just disappointed. 

JS89
Aspirant
Aspirant

Shayne is referencing an article that does not apply to the baby monitor. There is no limit to the streaming time for the Arlo Baby monitor. If you are experiencing this issue something else is wrong with either the camera or related to the device you are streaming on.

farbror_stig
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you figure? It says at the top of the article that it applies to the babymonitor (ABC1000).

SlowCooking
Aspirant
Aspirant

I believe that there's no time limit for local live streaming only. Local live streaming automatically kickes in when both your monitoring device (i.e., cell phones or tablets) and camera are connected to the same router. However, Local stream is not available on web client, so 30 minute time limit still applies. 

RoGray92
Initiate
Initiate

I'm at my wit's end with my TWO Arlo baby cameras. I've lost count already how many times the dreaded message pops up saying the device is not currently connected, and my kids have been in bed for only 2 hours. Just pops up seemingly for no reason, and I have to exit the app and get back into it, for it to reconnect. 

As if that's not infuriating enough, sometimes it will completely crash and whatever music/white noise is playing, will cut out completely, and there I am going about my business in the house thinking the baby can't hear any noises I'm making as I'm tidying up, only for him to be woken up because it's completely silent in his room! Or, if I'm lucky enough to discover the app has crashed and the music has stopped, I literally have to set the volume to minimal, restart the sound, and very slowly inch it back up to where it was so I don't startle him awake by going from nothing to loud sound. This is happening almost daily. 

I am also kicked out of the app completely sometimes, being told that I have logged in from another device, but then I just close the app and 9 times out of 10, it lets me back in without the log in details??

Seriously, what is going on here? It's driving me mental! I'm damn near ready to throw them both in the bin. Having spent in excess of $500 on the two devices, I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated at the amount dysfunction going on. These are unacceptable issues in a baby monitor in my opinion. It makes them completely redundant.

Is there a solution to these issues? At this point, I go to sleep every night worrying about WHEN, not IF, they will cut out, and whether I will hear either of my children from the other end of the house if they need me. 

Our internet is good, very good. No issues there. But I do see these issues spoken about at length in the community. 

Looking forward to a solution...

R0dr1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, same here.
I was change my router two time and nothing change..
jnords
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've been having this issue too with it disconnecting frequently. Mine will only stay on for like 15 seconds before it saying the device is not connected. If I quit out and reopen in, then it works again for about 15 seconds, before doing it again. I've been so disappointed with Arlo. This isn't the first time this has happened where it does this multiple times while in use, but it has never been this bad before. Such a safety issue. Especially when it's the middle of the night, your child is sick, and you need it to alert you if something more is happening.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What FW version and viewing devices are being used ?? Info on same can help.

I recently tested on an Android device ( on same network ) and was able to stream for several hours without issue.

Here running FW version 1.10.0.0_923_488774b  ( may be a trial version ) and S7 phone/Ipad mini

pakamitch
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here.  constantly having to power cycle to get it back online.  It got to the point where that would not work sometime and I would have to delete the device and add it back to my account.  I have been with out a baby monitor for about a month now because the app wont find my device.  

Hopefully you are still in the warranty time.  If so my suggest it to push to get it replaced. I have had mine for about a year and a half and they wont do anything for me, since i am passed the warranty period.  The only solution customer "support" could give me was its defective and i would have to replace it and they offered me a BS 30%off to buy a new one. 

good luck!  but i am not having any with them.    

Porembamike
Tutor
Tutor

How did you manage to get the FW version 1.10 for baby cams?  Both cameras have FW 1.9 for me.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this issue with the latest Arlo Baby update V1.10.0.0_923_488774b?

Megannolet12
Aspirant
Aspirant
No. But now it won’t connect on my phone at all unless I am using wifi
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Megannolet12

Can you try removing/re-installing the Arlo app and verify you are running version 3.2.

Thank you

Megannolet12
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I am using the current version. Have not tried uninstalling/reinstalling yet.