Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
raffio
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

My Arlo Baby is always showing temperature 1.5-2 C higher then actual. I tried to reboot it many times, but the problem did not disapear. 

Many Thanks for your help

16 REPLIES 16
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

What firmware version is your Arlo baby running? Have you tried to reset the camera & test again?

raffio
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I have been reseting camera many times and after reset it starts to calibrate - for example temp immidiately after reset is 27 C, few hours later - 23.5 but the real temperature is 22.0. Usually Arlo is 1.5-2 degrees higer then it should be.

I even tried to position the camera in different place of the room, no effect.

My firmware: 1.8.6.2_22781

Hardware: 6

Many Thanks for your help!

sharkpunch
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have same issue - have reset to try 'calibration' multiple times (10+) and still there is no improvement in sensor accuracy for Temp and Humidity, please can we have a fix for this - it appears many users are experiencing this

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@sharkpunch

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link below for you - Arlo Tech Support

sharkpunch
Aspirant
Aspirant

hi Shayne

Yes I have they just provided the same instructions - case id 40389011

SammyNZ
Star
Star
Can confirm, now that the temperature sensor is exposed to HomeKit I was planning to use it to automate cooling/heating in the nursery but it’s pretty much useless since it’s so far off. I’ve had variations up to 3°c off the actual temperature.

I could account for the difference if it was more consistent but I’ve decided to invest in some cheap sensors (that miraculously are only off by half a degree) and work with those instead.

Still, it would be nice to see some work done on the calibration algorithm...
zizi8862
Initiate
Initiate

I have read through the forum and seems like there are lots of people experiencing issues with the temperature sensor and possibiliy the humidity sensor too. I have noticed Arlo baby gets quite warm so maybe that is why its usually reading a bit higher than actual temperature? Is there no way for a software update to account for this?

Another weird issue is when my wife logs in her arlo baby app on her samsung phone sometimes it reads at 32 degree celsius where as my app on a different mobile shows its 26 degrees. So it shows different temperature at the same time via two different mobile phones. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@zizi8862

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Michaelgt
Guide
Guide
thermometer on the. Arlo baby is bad really bad never accurate..call customer support won’t help because it’s with every arlo baby they need to do a recall on all cams..I use a eve degree instead..and since the last update the temp reading never appears anymore..very bad programmers behind arlo
sharkpunch
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve already replaced the unit via support and the problem still persists

I find the unit runs hot so that is probably throwing off the sensor.

It’s a shame as I was considering investing in more arlo products but it seems they aren’t really focused on fixing the issues
Michaelgt
Guide
Guide
And they aren’t worried about reputation either....
numb15
Apprentice
Apprentice

I haven't noticed this yet.

In the same room I have a Nest Thermostat and the Arlo Baby.

Right now I see

Nest temperature: 17

Arlo baby temperature: 17.1

Nest humidity: 52%

Arlo baby humidity: 57.3%

I'm fairly comfortable with that variance, it seems minimal. (Nest thermostats only show temperature measurements in increases of 0.5)

They're not exactly right beside each other, I'll do that experiment later.

Michaelgt
Guide
Guide
Wish mine was like that
SammyNZ
Star
Star

So to add to all the confusion I have a 2nd camera setup and have the following results:

Room 1:

Arlo Baby - 24.5 celcius

Philips Hue - 21.0 celcius

Room 2:

Arlo Baby - 26.0 celcius

Philips Hue - 26.0 celcius

So it appears that the room 1 Arlo is not calibrating properly. Note, both have been recalibrated as per the online instructions.

I will swap them around this weekend and update with results again.

ilusnforc
Tutor
Tutor

Mine seems to indicate about 5 degrees F higher than actual. If the Arlo Baby says 77.2 F the actual temp is closer to 72 F in the room. I haven't tried calibrating it but it's a brand new camera, and power has been disconnected a few times since setting up (power outage, intalling safety cover over outlet, etc) and I believe that is the calibration process. I have the battery switched off.

I also assumed it was just reading the increase in temp from the internal heat it generates, would probably be smarter to have an external temp probe, like an antenna or something maybe in the bunny ears but can't fix that now. I assume it's a hardware design issue that could only be worked around by increasing air flow. Surprised to hear that there is a Baby camera out there that is recording accurate temps though.

SammyNZ
Star
Star

I'm going to partially agree with hardware being the issue.

It appears that they have catered for offsetting the heat generated by the hardware.

But it struggles if the area that the camera is located in, is exposed to the sun or other heat source. This throws it off for a day or 2 until it re-calibrates again. In a way it is technically reading correctly but is affected by the immediate surrounding.

So in my testing I have relocated the camera (from the center of the crib to a far corner that is constantly in "shade") and I have noticed that it has settled correctly and is now reporting to within 0.5 degrees celcius of other temperature sensors.

My suggestion would be to take this into consideration if you need to use the temperature setting and then recalibrate over a few days.
I initially tested close to the room door (not ideal due to differences in temperature in the passage and in the room) and near the window (again, affected by afternoon sunlight). The original position of being middle of the crib was indirectly affected indirectly by the wall having being exposed to afternoon sunlight. The camera itself wasn't directly exposed which gave me wildly different variations in temperature from 2 degrees celcius to 7! degrees celcius at one point.

Having been through all of the above though, I'm still using an external sensor along with the Arlo sensor to decide on my automations and it appears to be working out pretty well so far. The true test will be come winter but I'm hoping to incorporate an outdoor sensor as well.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation