Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
DOTY1993
Initiate
Initiate
While viewing Arlo Baby feed through HomeKit, the live feed intermittently drops and displays “Camera Not Available - This camera is being viewed by someone else”. I’ve updated the firmware to 1.8.22781 and no improvements were made for me. I prefer using HomeKit as the delay is reduced compared to the Arlo app.
11 REPLIES 11
DOTY1993
Initiate
Initiate
I wanted to add some other key points. In HomeKit, the Arlo screen capture updates every 10 seconds or so while I’m looking at the screenshot, and also updates consistently when opening and exiting HomeKit to look at the Arlo screenshot. But every time since last night, once I click on the screenshot to enter the live feed, the Camera Not Available warning is there.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link below for you - Arlo Tech Support

Swiggles
Star
Star
Connection with the home app only lasts about 5 minutes for me the. It says camera not available. And update help for the first time but went right back to the way it was....

By the time they fix the issues my baby is going to be too old for the monitor.

No point in contacting customer service when we all have the same issues!
lukbsk
Aspirant
Aspirant

The same problem.. latest firmware and busy camera in HomeKit + 6-10s lag in Arlo App.

This product is useless and costs a lot of money.. Xiaomi Camera is wokring 10x better.

lukbsk
Aspirant
Aspirant

According this post: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Baby/Arlo-Baby-HomeKit/m-p/1658900#M3454

I have still this issue with newest firmware. My HomeKit intergration is always busy, I can't watch video from camera because camera is busy and someone else is viewed stream. I'm alone in home, and I have only one HomeKit but randomly I can't see screen. I have to restart camera for work.

Why this is still problem? I should return this product to shop? This not working as I expected and costs lot money.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@lukbsk

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

infinitebeard
Star
Star

@lukbsk did you get anywhere with this? I have the same problem. Bought camera mainly for HomeKit support but looking like I made a bad choice.

lukbsk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I contacted with support but they don't know what is the reason. They said I should hard reset device, remove from account and relink. Tried many times and problem is still. Few days ago I returned this camera to shop and (apple shop) will return my money back.

This camera will never work good I think. Return it if you can.

Expensive **bleep**.

infinitebeard
Star
Star

@lukbsk I'm close to doing the same. Just out of interest do you have an Orbi or mesh-style router?

lukbsk
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, this problem is not depends on router. I had TP-LINK and now I have Ubiquiti Security Gateway Pro (enterprise router) with two enterprise AP (WIFI AC) and problem is still the same.

Lost time only and never buy this camera for others who is interesting.

SammyNZ
Star
Star

From what I understand this is a problem due to the way HomeKit operates. Apple requires the video feed to be local and direct from camera to your device (not via the cloud).

Device makers have to define how many streams their hardware is cable of - note this is a direct stream so the limitations are hardware bound and not related to your internet connection (unless remote viewing) so you will experience this issue even when at home.

Since, I assume, the CPU on the Arlo Baby is:

1. Not the most high end

2. Busy (or holding resources for) with other processing tasks such as music, fancy night light fades, maintaining a constant connection to the cloud, monitoring temperature, air quality, noise levels, etc.

that there are not enough resources to dedicate more than 1 active, live stream.

If for any reason this stream is deemed in use by either the Arlo firmware or Apple HomeKit API then you will get the "being viewed by someone else" error. It usually clears itself out after a few hours (unlucky if you're stuck for days) but yes, highly annoying and creates untold irritation if you have more than 1 person keeping an eye on the baby.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation