Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Thinking of getting the Arlo wired doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
pekhaqun
Follower
Follower

I am thinking of getting the wired door bell. I have read many posts and seen video of poor video and audio latency, and very long notifications to the phone. Have those issues been addressed in newer firmware?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This site generally only gets problem reports, not successes. Each of those problems may be caused by local conditions such as WiFi interference, house construction blocking signals, etc. Signal strength and quality are frequent issues that can only be handled locally and by testing. 

While I get random video issues it's not often. If you want, describe your house construction and wireless environment (the cameras use the 2.4GHz band so anything in that band, such as wireless phones and microwave ovens, can be an issue, especially if nearby).

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@jguerdat I think the issue of the negative effect of other devices on WiFi is overstated. For example, you're only likely to use the microwave once/twice a day and for 5 min. I think I'd be more concerned with the fact that the presence of other WiFi networks has more of an impact on the 2.4 GHz network, and also the fact that you can't change a wireless channel on Arlo.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I agree with you to a point. The microwave isn't a constant source of emissions while WiFi and some other wireless devices certainly are.

However, the lack of ability to change WiFi channels for your base/hub has been discussed and shown to be a correct design for those which are close to a router. If you want a different channel, place the base/hub away from the router (it's been said 20 feet but I would test) using a long cable or an extender (I suppose a powerline extender would be the best choice since a WiFi extender may cause the same issue).

I'm certainly no WiFi expert but I do defer to engineers who do this for a living.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation