Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

“Warning!!!” Resolution for Arlo Doorbell purchasers using iOS. As of this date, Arlo cannot be setup with at least the “mechanical” wired chimes using the iOS app. You must use Android.  Unfortunately you have to have access to an Android just for the setup.  

Cant imagine it’s always been like this. After trying multiple times trying to setup my Arlo Doorbell to activate my wired chimes with no luck. The app would not say anything about the traditional chime however the web site would say traditional chime- disconnected. I checked Arlo community and saw a lot of people with this issue but I was unable to find any with this fix. I eventually called Arlo support and was stepped through all the same procedures with the same result. She escalated the issue and I was told I would receive an email  if/when the get a resolution. 

I posted my plight on the Arlo community and received two responses of emails they received back from support about the iOS issue. I’m an iOS person, but luckily my daughter had an old kindle sitting around. I charged it and installed the app, setup my doorbell and Bingo my chimes worked!  Not happy with Arlo for all the wasted time. At the least front line support should of known about this issue. 

9 REPLIES 9
guyeccles
Guide
Guide

I have had similar problems setting up doorbell with exisitng chime or as backstop with Amazon Alexa.  I am in the UK.  Having failed ot get support from the helpline (calls not answered etc) I was eventually contacted having requested help on Arlo FB page.  I have been told at the moment (1 July 2019) you cannot

• set up the existing chime with either IOS or Android.  The technical team have appranelty been working throiugh this for c.4 weeks but no release date for solution.
  • set up to work with Alexa.  Apparently this has been a known issue since last year.  Again no date for any resolution.

I don't know if this is UK only or wider.  It's completely dishonest for Arlo to be advertising th eproduct as if it all works - that's why I bought it!.  We can all accept issues if the problems are dealt with urgently.  But this hasn't been, and it's even more disappointing that Arlo couldn't be honest with customers and give a clear status, instead of leaving us all to waste so much time grasping for help from each other.

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Our the second person from the uk that has said you can’t set it up by either phone type. Unless that was you. So how are you to set it up!?

guyeccles
Guide
Guide

You can't Hotsparks!  It was quite somethign to be told my doorbell did actually work - but you just couldn't set it up!  As if that was somehow not so bad...

Only Arlo can solve this by creating a fix.

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’ve heard three times now from someone in the UK that it couldn’t be setup with either. 

. This the first I heard about setting it up with Alexa. But it sounds like a UK thing. This all should of been ironed out before release. At least they shouldn’t even sell them in the UK until this is ironed out. Or only sell it as a package with their chime & a big disclaimer. Did you send it back or get their chime?
Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Guyeccles,

Did you send it back or get their chime?

guyeccles
Guide
Guide

am waiting to see if there is a firmware fix

If nothing I will probably get a Ring door bell (shame as I have arlo base station and security cameras).  

I would think a lot more of Arlo if they had been open about these problems.  I think the only reason they contacted me back was because I posted on their FB page.  Not a good customer experience

glooka
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am stuck too and I am all iOS. This is pretty deceiving a sI purchased the Doorbell specifically becuase it would in tegrate with my Arlo cameras AND work with my existing mechanichal chime. At this point Arlo should ust send us a chime for FREE for all the time spent troubleshooting. I am close to 4 hours spent during 115 degrees days and 98 degrees evenings.

westranm
Aspirant
Aspirant

My wired chime mysteriously started working for the first time since I bought it a couple months ago.  I haven’t touched anything in terms of settings...maybe the issue is finally fixed.

Ryan0751
Tutor
Tutor

Interesting... I have been unable to get Arlo to ring my existing chime.

So I bought theirs, and that doesn't work either.

Someone didn't do any testing before releasing this product...

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation