Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
SebC22
Tutor
Tutor

Hello all,

i've bought an audio doorbell (2 actually, since i need one at front door and one at the remote gate to my house).

The gate is under Arlo Pro monitoring and i would like to trigger video recording upon movement detection from the gate doorbell.

I've tried to set it up using the devide menu, adding an action to trigger video recording (untill detection stops) upon movement detection, but it does not work. I get the mobile notification for movement, but no video recording.

If it matters, the camera is paired with the doorbell (but i'm not sure of the purpose of pairing the camera, the interface here is a bit confusing).

Any idea ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@SebC22 wrote:

Beside, my mode is set to "Planning", so that the camera motion detection auto-arms itself when we are away (we have a quite regular week routine).

I'm a bit puzzled about what your hint implies : the way i'd like it to work is : video recording when camera detects motion according to planning , PLUS video recording when the doorbell detects motion, whatever the planning says. But from what you say say, does it means that camera is either slaved to the doorbell and can't work on its own or not paired and working alone (which means i can't have both of the behavior i' like to set) ?

Does this mean you're using geofencing, too? Try disabling it and just use the schedule if appropriate. Also, use a browser to do this since the apps can cause issues on occasion.

The only reason I switched from otion detection on the doorbell to trigger a recording to having the camera detect and record is due to the hourly recordings, especially overnight, with no actual motion. I initially had both the camera detecting and recording as well as the doorbell which worked fine but whatever detects first will do the recording - I used different recording times to determine which one detected the motion for my own troubleshooting. So, yes, you can use both simultaneously but the camera usually detects before the doorbell.

I suppose you may need to remove the doorbell from Settings, My Devices and resyn/reconfigure to make things work the way you need. If the camera by itself is working fine and will record by using a mode and rule, I don't think there's a need to remove and resync the camer but it may be useful, too.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If I understand you correctly, you're using the Motion Settings in Settings, My Devices, your doorbell, right? If not, what are you using?

In the Motion Settings section, you would enable motion detection, select the paired camera (that's why you need to pair a camera with that doorbell) and set up the recording and notifications. If you've done all that but no recordings, try a timed recording instead for troubleshooting.

Alternatively, just set up a mode and rule for that camera to detect and record, ignoring the doorbell detection. Be sure to turn off the doorbell motion detection.

SebC22
Tutor
Tutor

@jguerdat wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you're using the Motion Settings in Settings, My Devices, your doorbell, right? If not, what are you using?

Yes, that's it .. motion detection in my doorbell settings. Works half, since i get notification, but no video recording. Switching to fixed length recording doesn't change a thing.

Beside, my mode is set to "Planning", so that the camera motion detection auto-arms itself when we are away (we have a quite regular week routine).

I'm a bit puzzled about what your hint implies : the way i'd like it to work is : video recording when camera detects motion according to planning , PLUS video recording when the doorbell detects motion, whatever the planning says. But from what you say say, does it means that camera is either slaved to the doorbell and can't work on its own or not paired and working alone (which means i can't have both of the behavior i' like to set) ?

Personal thought (if arlo is reading) : Honestly, a more in-depth guide of the ins and outs of how the interface works and how the devices interacts would be worth the time spent to write it : these products tends to do complex things, but without explaining to the user how they do (if there is no manual, that means the product is easy and straightforward, isn't it ?), which just ends up with more user questions and frustration. Complexit has a price, everyone must be ready to pay for it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@SebC22 wrote:

Does this mean you're using geofencing, too? Try disabling it and just use the schedule if appropriate. Also, use a browser to do this since the apps can cause issues on occasion.

The only reason I switched from otion detection on the doorbell to trigger a recording to having the camera detect and record is due to the hourly recordings, especially overnight, with no actual motion. I initially had both the camera detecting and recording as well as the doorbell which worked fine but whatever detects first will do the recording - I used different recording times to determine which one detected the motion for my own troubleshooting. So, yes, you can use both simultaneously but the camera usually detects before the doorbell.

I suppose you may need to remove the doorbell from Settings, My Devices and resyn/reconfigure to make things work the way you need. If the camera by itself is working fine and will record by using a mode and rule, I don't think there's a need to remove and resync the camer but it may be useful, too.

SebC22
Tutor
Tutor
After removing reinstalling some device, It worked as expected, the settings behavior and stability is definitely random. Would be great if they improve reliability of the system....
Thank you for help
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation