Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jharj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried setting up the Arlo Doorbell to my existing connections.  Like other users have stated, there's a constant buzzing on 1 and 3 with nothing on 2.  The solutions I've seen on here indicate a Traditional Chime toggle switch in the settings for the doorbell, which I do not have on my app. 

Under customize, I only have the Silent Mode option.  When that is active I get the Incoming Call option. 

Nothing I do brings up the Traditional Chime option. 

If I enter the device settings, the first section only has Battery, Connected To, and Device info.  No Traditional Chime option there either. 

Is there something I'm missing?

155 REPLIES 155
Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Very frustrating. I know my Doorbell mechanical chimes works. Worked with Skybell, however Arlo Doorbell does not seem to recognize it. I know I’m getting a connection because the doorbell buzzes on position 1 and 3. On the app I see no options for traditional doorbell to turn on or anything. On Arlo.com I get traditional chime - disconnected.  I’ve tried everything I can think of and everything I’ve seen on the community. This my Arlo Doorbell, thinking the first was defective.  Readied the doorbell multiple times and currently is not paired with a camera. Any new ideas?

Thanks

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Yeah, ask for a refund.

This is going on way too long...
Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo Support was unable to resolve my mechanical chime issue with my Arlo Doorbell. They escalated it. They said if/when they come up with a resolution I will just receive an email with the fix. No phone call! Not optimistic.

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
I received an email from arlo finally acknowledging the problem. They informed me that the problem is isolated to iOS devices only and that if I had an android device then the doorbell could be set up properly with my mechanical chime.

I don’t have any android devices to try...

Does this sound right to anybody else?
Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. She didn’t even ask me what phone I had.  Sound like an issue that should of been looked into before release.  Unfortunately I don’t have access to an android device.

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
This is the email I received....

Hi Davin,

My name is Russel from Arlo support.

I have been made aware that you are having some trouble having the Arlo doorbell work with your existing chime. Based on your case, you tried to use an iPhone X and iPad. I would like to inform you that our engineering team is currently investigating why our iOS app is not connecting traditional chime setups.

While waiting for an update, we have confirmed that the traditional chime setup is working with the Arlo Android app. With that, we can use an Android device just to setup the traditional chime properly. After that, you can then just continue using your iOS devices.

We can discuss this over the phone if you like. Just provide a date and time (include time zone) so I can send a meeting invite.

Thanks,
Russel
carleycap
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the feedback. It was an IOS issue during install. I reinstalled with an Android tablet and BINGO. It works with my traditional chime now.

They need to do some tweaking to the settings. Silent mode turns off both the chime and calls. These need to be on their own toggle each. I only want calls when I'm away from home, and chime only when I'm home. The software is not thought out very well.

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you. Hate that I waisted all that time. Surprised I didn’t see it on the community or at least the Arlo Support person should of know!  My daughter had an old kindle that was sitting around. Charged it installed the app and ran setup and bingo my chimes work. 

Dont know if this is something new, but it should be better documented. 

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the option to turn off one ot the other in the iOS app. 

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo Doorbell cannot be currently setup to at least a mechanical doorbell with iOS. You must use Android.  Being an iOS person I was lucky my daughter had an old kindle sitting around. I charged it, installed the app, ran setup a Bingo the chimes worked. 

Frontline Arlo support didn’t even know this resolution, they escalated it. After posting my plight in the community, I received 2 responses from people that got emails from Arlo about the iOS issue. Hope this helps!

Moto286
Guide
Guide
Wow that is crazy ! Awesome that worked ! I’ll have to give it a try on my old Samsung phone
Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pleas let us know. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

carleycap
Tutor
Tutor

I spoke too soon. I do have options for silent in IOS, but not on desktop. Thanks. You need iOS to turn off call, but keep chime active. That option is not available on desktop version. 

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah I noticed that. You would think they would keep more uniformity. Glad you found it. 

guyeccles
Guide
Guide

Russell

I have exactly the same problem but do not have an android phone.  Could you help me with android set up?  Thanks

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

You have to have the Android there to be able to see everything on your WiFi. I used an old kindle or even if you have a friend you can use their android, because you only need it during setup. After setup you can use iOS or the computer to adjust it. 

@guyeccles wrote:

Russell

I have exactly the same problem but do not have an android phone.  Could you help me with android set up?  Thanks

@guyeccles wrote:

Russell

it 

guyeccles
Guide
Guide

I have now tried with an android phone.  Exactly the same problem - no mechanical chime option.  Tried re-installing app and device - no good.

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

That was my issue. 

On the website, does it still say traditional chime - disconnected?

How new is the android. It doesn’t have to be new but I do believe there is an older version limit. 

Do you hear buzzing on 1&3 that would at least verify you are getting a good connection. 

Another issue I read, that it can be a problem if your going to more than one chime. 

If you’ve tried everything you’ve found in the community, unfortunately support is you next option. 

carleycap
Tutor
Tutor
Uninstall from your devices. Do a hard reset by pressing the button between the batteries for 10 seconds. The light will flash rapidly if done correctly. Then set up fresh with android device. It worked for me. Note. There are different setting options on IOS and web app. As long you set it up with Android it should work.
guyeccles
Guide
Guide

Yep tried all those.  

Thanks for your help - have now tried my luck again with support.  Major problems getting call answered (another story), but when I did was told:
- there is an app problem setting existing traditional chimes with IOS and Android (not sure if this is UK only?) - this has been with engineering for 3/4 weeks
- Using Alexa does not work (again, not sure if UK only?) and this has been with engineering for about 6 months!!

Not very promising, and lack of response from Arlo very poor.  Can’t blame the guys answering the phones but as an organisation supposedly at the forefront of smart homes this is really poor design and even worse attention to problem resolution

I have re-connected my 30 year old basic doorbell...
guyeccles
Guide
Guide

Hi carleycap

Thanks for message.  Have tried and didn't work.  Not sure if this is because am in UK?  Technical support told me today the app does not work with exisiting chime in IOS or Android at the moment

Carl_G
Tutor
Tutor

OK, I have a different Spin on this.  When I originally set up my Doorbell, it would ring my traditional chime and call my cell phone.  For whatever reason, the traditional chime stopped working.  When I go into my app, I can turn on Incoming Call or Traditional Chime.  If I try to turn both on, it automaticcally switches to Silent Mode.  WHY!?!? 

jayhova1
Guide
Guide

Anyone have issues after the recent base station update?  My doorbell no longer rings my existing digital chime and I don't have the option in the device to set it to do so.  It has disappeared.  

I have tried deleting and re-adding the doorbell as well as resetting the doorbell itself (hold sync for 10 seconds).  I really do NOT want to have to go through resetting the basestation and re-adding everything.  This is kind of ridiculous that this happens so frequently or whenever there are firmware updates.  Has anyone noticed similar behavior.

jayhova1
Guide
Guide

Hello All,

Has anyone had the doorbell stop operating an existing digital chime?  I am guessing this is tied to the recent base station firmware update (I am not sure if the doorbell also got an update).  I am using a VMB4000r3 hub firmware 1.12.2.4_2772.  My doorbell is HW 1.2 firmware 1.2.0.0_297_268.

I have removed and added back the doorbell.  I have reset the doorbell by holding sync for 10 sec+.  I also noticed the option to configure a traditional chime is no longer shown under the device settings.  I have no way to configure that anymore inside the doorbell options. I have tried both switch postions 1 and 3.   I am using the letest version of the iOS app 2.7.10 (91).

Appreciate any help.  The constant breakages of cameras and doorbells and chimes is getting to be an old story with Arlo.  Hoping someone can help I'm nearing the end of my pateince with these products.