Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Apparently the doorbell has to detect motion before you can ring it. Mine is not always detecting motion so half the time it does not ring. Is there any adjustments or things to try. I have it connected to a camera and I would of thought that motion sensor would effect the doorbell but it does not. I havent yet figured out the advantage of the doorbell being connected to a camera. 

Thanks in advance

13 REPLIES 13
Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

I assumed and have seen some people that say this does work. When I link camera, to my doorbell, it does not use the camera motion sensor to activate my doorbell. My issue is that people are not always picked up by the doorbell motion sensor (the ring flashing on the doorbell)  in which case my doorbell won’t chime.  And in testing when I just set off the doorbell motion sensor my camera won’t record as it’s setup to do.  So what is the benefit of linking the doorbell?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Hotsparks

Have you tried to reboot your base station or reboot your camera by removing the camera batteries (Pro,Pro2,Ultra) & open and close the battery door (original Arlo)?

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's the doorbell that is not always detecting motion.  I thought if I paired it with a camera it would use that motion sensor from what I read.  But it doesn't do that either.

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

And for another issue, I did reboot the hub and take out the batteries.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The doorbell needs to be pressed in order to call your device. If the doorbell senses motion, you have the option to be alerted by push notification/email. Having the camera connected to the doorbell allows the option to see who is at your door or trigger any camera you choose through your rules. The doorbell can also trigger a recording to any camera when motion is detected.

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok so that’s all the only reason to have them connected. Haven’t had a lot of chances to try that yet, but it makes sense. However usually my camera is already recording before the person reaches the doorbell. However if I just press the doorbell were the camera doesn’t see me, no recording happens.  It does ring and I get the calls.

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

That’s what I was saying. Nothing happens as far as the camera does not record. Nor do I get any notifications when it senses motion. The only way I know is the ring starts to flash. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

What is the model Device/OS that you are not receiving notifications with?

Have you went through the following steps to setup the motion & cameras with the Doorbell? Settings > My Devices > Doorbell > Motion Settings > When Motion Is Detected (checked) > Add Event > Select Camera > Record Video > Alert Methods > Check Whichever you prefer.

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

It was iOS. However I reinstalled the doorbell and didn’t pair to a camera. So I am now receiving notification. Which will make it a lot easier to see when it does or doesn’t see motion. Thanks. I’m thinking after I pairit with a camera the doorbell notification might disappear. Not sure. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Hotsparks

The camera detecting motion will not currently sound your doorbell/ring phone. The doorbell will need to be physically pressed to set off your chime. You can have your camera set with a rule to sound the chime when motion is detected though.

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know but if that ring on the doorbell doesn’t light up, which I’m thinking that is saying it senses motion, if I push the ring button, nothing happens.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Hotsparks

The white ring lights up when the doorbell senses motion, the doorbell is also waking up from a sleep mode. If the doorbell is not lighting up or sensing motion, you may want to contact customer support regarding this. I have attached the link below.

Arlo Tech Support

Hotsparks
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ios

Yes I have gone through that setup multiple time. On my iOS device and computer. Not sure if I’ve done that on an Android. It’s possible. 

Its a little different on each os.  The computer is the only one I have the option to Add Event. The others just say “when Arlo Doorbell is triggered, which device do you want to activate. By activate I would think they mean ring. But on the next page it states When Motion is detected what would you like to do. And it list the camera. 

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation