Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
timpharrison
Star
Star

Since updating to iOS 13 my doorbell does not call my iPhone (or that of my wife's).

I have followed guidance under a similar thread, to no avail:

- Reset Arlo base station

- Removed and reinstalled Arlo doorbell

- Removed and reinstalled iOS Arlo application

Any ideas before I try to return this to the manufacturer?  It really is very poor that the app upgrade was released without this being resolved.

207 REPLIES 207
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @JJAdV

What version of iOS are you experiencing this issue with?

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

12 and 13, including the update today.. across multiple devices including phones and iPads, across multiple internet connections including NAT and public IP. My guess is that you have a SIP compatibility issue with iOS?? But if no one knows about it at Arlo support/engineering at this stage, let me know as I will then take it back.. 

There is copious amounts of this info in all the posts about this. Arlo really need to get some people on these forums that can answer questions rather than just , reboot, reinstall, contact support etc.. It would be worth it just to not have the public relations disaster you have.

dpoon
Guide
Guide

Update:  I returned my Arlo Doorbell and Chimes and purchased the Nest Hello video doorbell.  

Yes, double the cost but it works fantastic.   The Hello camera provides a live feed much faster than the Arlo cameras (☹), motion and sound notifications are faster as well, and the doorbell consistently calls my phone.  In addition, it syncs very well with my Nest Hub (something the Arlo cameras do not do but are supposed to  – but that’s another story).

Yes, a Nest subscription is required to save the videos and access other features (about $60 per year, so not that significant), but the Hello actually works and paying the additional cost and subscription is a small price for that type of performance.

Unfortunately, I'm not confident about the functionality of the new Arlo Video Doorbell.

I will be replacing my ten existing Arlo cameras  over time with Nest cameras (can’t afford to do it all at once); I have already replaced my driveway camera.

Thanks everyone and good luck.

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeh, I have just packed mine up. And in a few minutes I and taking it back. I will probably get the Ring Doorbell 2, their sub is $40 Aud a year.. 

I think Ring handles calls and notifications differently, ir not like a Phone call, and I think this SIP phone call is the issue Arlo seems not to be able to implement.?? But thats just my thoughts as no one seems to want to talk about it.

Having 2 systems will also provide some redundancy. 

Such a pity, the concept of having the doorbell and the integration into the existing cameras was good.. But its vaporware..

dpoon
Guide
Guide

@JJAdV 

I have a couple of friends with the Ring 2 video doorbell and they are quite happy with its performance.  One of the reasons I chose the Nest Hello was due to its design; it looks like the Arlo doorbell😊

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll be happy with the Ring as well.

Rchall
Guide
Guide

I have replaced my Arlo Doorbell and Chime with a Ring 1 and chime. I returned the Arlo and was $20 ahead.

The Ring 1 worked  seamlessly with a lot more features than the Arlo. 
It is also much faster when responding to the doorbell.

The chime also had features not available on the Arlo ie sound on motion detection and much louder and allowed the chime sound to be repeated.

Plus the other big advantage was the doorbell has a camera. The Ring 1 is only 720 but good enough.

The the rest of the Arlo equipment works well and I would not have changed if Arlo were responsive to their customers and even gave bad but accurate news. 
JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ring Doorbell 2 with chime fitted, and the app hasn't crashed once, and its answered every time.

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

I still have the Arlo Cameras, I have them sorted out, and know the issues and workarounds. At they do actually work, well so far they do.

Vaiz010
Initiate
Initiate
To all Android users..follow this and it will resolve ur problem..my doorbell is ringing my phone now!!! Thank you very much Shane..much appreciated!!!

ShayneS Arlo Moderator Arlo Moderator
‎2019-10-29 12:28 PM
For Android users still experiencing this issue with the Doorbell not ringing your phone, Can you force close the app > log back in > test to see if your calls come through.
oscwes
Aspirant
Aspirant

It was working a couple of days but now it's back to the beginning again. No calls to my Android phone. (After many attempts it can suddenly work once.) 

My wife's iPhone do more often get a call, but then the app crashes.

The bell is useless.

timpharrison
Star
Star
iOS 13.2 and the latest version of the app: This worked briefly, perhaps a few days and is now not working again.

I started this topic weeks back and it is still not fixed.

If you are reading this topic and considering buying the Arlo Doorbell, you should know it no longer works with Android and iPhones.
bscooper0
Guide
Guide
I have bought a Ring doorbell now and it works perfect every time.
peetdk
Aspirant
Aspirant
So..it's a known problem that the chime don't ring when a camera is also connected to the doorbell.. How intense are they working to fix that problem? When can we expect to get a camera connected to the doorbell again?
MM42
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo, I want a refund for the 2 doorbells that I have as they are completely unreliable. Whilst they now do connect through to my phone, they only do so intermittently / randomly. They are a complete pile of junk.
GStanbury
Tutor
Tutor
I really can’t believe that this has not been resolved. What faith can you have that they will not patch it now and then have an issue on the next iOS update.
timpharrison
Star
Star

I created this topic on 10th October - so nearly a month and approaching 200 replies later, we are no further along.  

The service from Arlo has been appalling.  I raised two support tickets, both of which were closed unsolved, without my agreement.  There is a moderator on here (Shaun?) who has at least responded to messages, but hasn't managed to get anything resolved.

I had an online chat with someone at Amazon where I bought the Doorbell and Chime from and they were happy to give a full refund on both, once returned.  This is about three months after purchasing, so good service.   I would recommend any of you still wasting time on this, push for a refund.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @timpharrison

When pressing the doorbell do you receive a call intermittently or not at all?

garethkendall19
Tutor
Tutor
For me it never rings, well once in a blue moon. Seems to rings my wife's phone more often.

We have the same phone and versions of the app.

I've had mine now for about a year and it's never worked properly. I don't think Amazon will refund me now.

I've just checked away a £150!
GStanbury
Tutor
Tutor
For me it rings always BUT first time it connects fine from then on it rings but drops the call when answering on both phones linked to the system. Until I reboot the hub. I am on iOS.
oscwes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still no progress. No calls to my Android phone. (After many attempts it can suddenly work once.) 

My wife's iPhone do more often get a call, but then the app crashes.

Pennyjane
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

can anyone assist?  I spent over an hour yesterday on chat with help, and nothing they suggested seems to help.
my audio doorbell no longer rings my phone (iPhone 7).  It also does not ask to leave a message.   
it does ring my iPad if I am logged on that device, (and my phone tells me I answered the doorbell on the iPad)  and t audio is not working at all.

The doorbell doesn’t have the prompt to talk anymore either?
I did have to resync the doorbell as well.   We did have several power failures last week.  Not sure if this is connected?
I have checked all the settings resynced the  doorbell.  Deleted the app,  cleared the phone. 
any suggestions on how to fix this?

thanks. 

oscwes
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Audio doorbell is not working. I don't know if Arlo is working on it.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@oscwes

Can you provide a bit more information regarding the issue you are experiencing?

Is this occurring on Android or iOS?

oscwes
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Android and my wife has iPhone. 

The bell rings once in a while when someone presses the bell. (At most every tenth time.) Sometimes to my phone and sometimes to my wife's phone. Never to both at the same time.

I use the doorbell like an old regular doorbell since it stopped working a couple of months ago.

My Arlo cameras work great!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@oscwes

Is this occurring while on & off wifi?