Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
sacornel
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m using the Arlo doorbell as a motion trigger for my Pro 2 camera at the front door of my house.  Problem #1.  The motion sensitivity needs to have an adjustment similar to the cameras. The Arlo doorbell is 30 feet from the street and it will trigger when large vehicles, like a bus, drives by my house. The second issue is the Pro 2 camera records for 5 minutes for every trigger it receives from the doorbell.  I do have it set to record until motion has stopped, but for some reason it won’t stop recording even when the subject matter has walked away.  I change it to record for 30 seconds per trigger as to save my camera’s battery life. 

I wanted to toss these issues out there in case anyone else is experiencing the same thing. 

50 REPLIES 50
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sacornel,

Are you still seeing the same behavior? Is this every video or is it intermittently recording at the maximum of 5 minutes?

JamesC

sacornel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, it was recording for 5 minutes even if there was only a few seconds of subject matter. It was doing it for an entire day without failure. I initially corrected the problem by changing it to only record for 30 seconds.   However, the doorbell motion would sense moving cars on the street which is another problem.  I’ve turned off the doorbell as a trigger.   

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Doorbell motion sensing linked to pro2. Motion sensing of doorbell activates pro2 (no button press), pro2 continues to record for extended time of no activity, even though set to record “during activity”. I activated live view to stop the recording after almost 5 minutes, not sure if it would have stopped otherwise.
Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am seeing thsi with a Pro camera as well.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is aware of this issue and is working on a resolution. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

tims0891
Guide
Guide

Agreed about the doorbell motion. I am noticing way too many false motion alerts from the doorbell, which then will trigger the front camera to start recording. An option on the doorbell to adjust sensitivity would be awesome.

sacornel
Apprentice
Apprentice

My doorbell battery died about 2 weeks after installation.  I suspect it's because of the constant motions it detects from passing cars.  I'll have to uninstall it until a solution about sensativity is released.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sacornel,

If possible, can you provide a screenshot of where your doorbell is placed and then another screenshot from the perspective of the doorbell outwards away from your home? This might help us understand why you're experiencing so many triggers.

JamesC

tims0891
Guide
Guide
I'm not really one to want to post photos of my property on a social media platform, but I can tell you that the doorbell and front door is elevated and there are steps leading to the door from the street level. Would an elevation of the doorbell cause a sensitivity issue?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could PM JamesC with the screenshots.

RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice

I noticed the same issue when I linked the motion sensing of the doorbell to the camera.  Here is what I had originally.  In the "Mode, Armed" setup,  I had the camera set to record until all motion stopped.  I had the same parameter for the doorbell triggering the same camera to record.  I went back and changed the doorbell to camera link record time to 15 seconds.  I left the Mode, Armed record time at until all motion stops.  It now seems to work correctly.  All videos are recorded for the actual length of motion detection.  I have the camera and the doorbell in the same area.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Conversely, I found that the camera was starting to record before the doorbell detected so I ended up disarming the camera mode and use only the doorbell setting.

Bino64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Curious if engineering came up with a solution.  Installed an Arlo 2 with doorbell today and it records for over 5 minutes, well after the motion has ceased.  Thanks.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Bino64

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

sacornel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are you using the Pro 2 camera?

Bino64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bino64
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo Pro 2 with doorbell (sold as a package at Best Buy).
Emendoza11574
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue with my pro2 camera. It records for 5 min and doesn't stop even if theres no motion. I changed to 120 sec but now recording for 2 min. This only happens on 1 camera.
Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
I came across this thread because I am having the exact same issue. When I set the motion on the doorbell to trigger a camera, it records for 5 minutes every time even though it’s set for motion only.

I noticed this issue was reported over 2 months ago in this thread, when is a fox coming?
Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Fix, not fox...
Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
James C, I noticed you mentioned in November that the engineering team know about the issue and are working on it. Just curious if there has been a solution that I may have missed? I am still having the same issue...
Bino64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Very disappointed that this thread was never addressed by customer support.  Initially I had to deactivate the doorbell feature and was just using it to ring my doorbell.  That just stopped working and I just disconnected the Arlo doorbell and reinstalled my old doorbell ringer.  Complete waste of money.

nigeldr
Aspirant
Aspirant

So glad I found ths thread as I was going around in circles trying to activate notification from the dooebell.  Disabled email's and it instantly started working again.  

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

The engineering team is aware of this issue and is working on a resolution. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

It's been two months, any updates  I am still experiencing this problem.  If I set the door bell to record until motion stops it records for 5 minutes.  So I have it set to record for 30 seconds so it doesn't kill my camera battery too soon. 

Discussion stats