Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell is recording motion for 5 min when paired with Ultra & Pro 2

Discussion stats
sacornel
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m using the Arlo doorbell as a motion trigger for my Pro 2 camera at the front door of my house.  Problem #1.  The motion sensitivity needs to have an adjustment similar to the cameras. The Arlo doorbell is 30 feet from the street and it will trigger when large vehicles, like a bus, drives by my house. The second issue is the Pro 2 camera records for 5 minutes for every trigger it receives from the doorbell.  I do have it set to record until motion has stopped, but for some reason it won’t stop recording even when the subject matter has walked away.  I change it to record for 30 seconds per trigger as to save my camera’s battery life. 

I wanted to toss these issues out there in case anyone else is experiencing the same thing. 

50 REPLIES 50
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What I ended up doing is turning off motion detection in the doorbell motion settings section and only having a camera paired to the doorbell in the doorbell device settings. The doorbell no longer sends a thousand false alarms per day from motion it senses,  and when the doorbell is activated the paired porch camera records for the correct time. I don’t see why motion detection from my doorbell needs to be picked up when all my cameras will take care of that. The doorbell light still flashes from motion so that approaching visitors will see the button at night, but that’s all.

Is it working the way it is suppose to? I’m not really sure. There is nothing in any instructions to say that you can set one way or the other, or both. To me it seems like that if you only have a doorbell that you can turn on the motion. If you own cameras also you leave the motion off and pair a camera. If I saw that in the instructions it would make sense as far as how my devices function.
It’s sad that I had conversations back and forth with Arlo technical staff for days and they either didn’t know (known issue in threads for years!) or didn’t want to tell me they knew. Maybe they were just having fun with me, who knows.

But like I said, I could be wrong.

Discussion stats