Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
ErikNy
Tutor
Tutor

I have the 4K model and a doorbell and chime. I have several issues with the doorbell and its design/ux but that's for later topics.

Recently the camera that is supposed to record activity after the doorbell detects motion isn’t recording any more since one month or so. No settings changed. Doorbell works as usual otherwise and also glows when it detects motion – but nothing is recorded.

Settings show:

When motion is detected -> [Camera Name] Record Video -> Record until activity stops (up to 300 sec)

Unfortionately a terrible thing happened that could have been recorded – but now isn't. This and other issues with Arlo is making me doubt investing in this product (and recently upgrading to Pro cameras). As well as the anger I now try to supress while not being able to even get in contact with regular support  ("Live Chat Available" -> *START Chat* -> "Live Chat not available").

What should I do? I have tried the normal stuff like turning things on and off and playing around with the settings on and off. Will factory reset the doorbell this weekend and see if that helps.

17 REPLIES 17
ErikNy
Tutor
Tutor

I tried adding a second camera to record if the doorbell detects motion and that camera does record!

I have Ultra not Pro as I wrote above and the camera I get to record is a Pro 2 camera. The one that doesn’t work is an Ultra. This Ultra camera works as intended in normal modes - but not with the doorbell.

brh
Master
Master

@ErikNy,

My doorbells have never worked with my Ultra cameras although I see that they sell packages with the Ultra cameras with the doorbell included. They do work with my Pro and Pro2 cameras.I believe this is a firmware issue.

Brian

qureshibe
Star
Star

Base Station VMB5000r4 -

Arlo Ultra Firmware1.12.3.2_134_185068d

Arlodoorbell Version 1.3

Firmware 1.2.0.0_309_283

Dear,

In the beginning, my doorbell used to trigger motion alert & record motions in UNARMED MODE, which was handy, while the system is UNARMED and someone shows up at door & doesn't ring the bell & leaves without ringing. 

But this looks like no longer working on my system.

I have changed the batteries of the bell.

I have removed device/cam & attached again, removed battery of cam & put it back in.

Did reset on doorbell+HUb.

Nothing look like taking me back to that earlier stage?

Ofc no matter ARMED/UNARMED when Guest(he/she) rings the bell it will trigger cam+chime+phonecall.

I thank you all for help.

Best,

QB

qureshibe
Star
Star

Same here

Unable to find a fix.

It used to work before, but stopped idk due to app upgrades or firmware upgrades.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey everyone,

If you're receiving notifications where the Arlo Audio Doorbell detects motion but it isn't recording on your Arlo Ultra camera, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

qureshibe
Star
Star

Opened a case with support.

qureshibe
Star
Star

I had a call from Arlo Support, they were unable to understand my issue.

Their final response: There is no Motion-Detection Capability in Arlo Doorbell

Motion is only possible to detect with Cam linked to doorbell & with a rule set up.

I'm disappointed. this is something which used to work & was handy. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey qureshibe,

Let me reach out to you via private message to gather some information from you regarding your contact with the support team.

brh
Master
Master

@qureshibe,

The rep was wrong! The doorbell does detect motion and will trigger notifications/recordings on the HD, Pro and Pro2 models. I have not been able to get them to do this with the Pro3 nor the Ultra. I was told that this is a known problem and the engineers are supposedly working on resolving it.

Brian

shancake
Guide
Guide

Yep. It's a known issue according to support.

Arlo Ultra no longer records when the doorbell detects motion and also it doesn't send a screenshot when motion is detected on the doorbell like it used to. 

It's really bad considering this is a $1000 product... 

qureshibe
Star
Star

Good News!

I have resolved the issue myself.

SOLUTION: Remove Activity Zones

I don't know what is the logic/relation but as I was desperate to fix my doorbell motion triggering ultra recording working, I kept on experimenting. 

So if you have the activity zone on ultra cam paired to arlo audio doorbell, remove it.

This will enable audio doorbell trigger recording on paired ultra cam as motion detected by doorbell in ANY MODE. 

Useful specially on DISARMED/Unarmed mode.

brh
Master
Master

@qureshibe,

Good to hear that you got yours working. Unfortunately, I tried this and it did not work for me. I would like to hear from anyone else that does this and gets it working or not.

Brian

qureshibe
Star
Star

But there are 2 more issues.

1- Recordings appear in the cloud online after a few hours - but not all (for example my kids left from the front door at 13Hr40 now it is 15hr33, I'm expecting a recording, but it didn't appear online yet, 

2- No Alerts of the doorbell motion trigger

I have tried to save it on the computer & in-app, to send me an alert, but when I go back & see it is unchecked by default.

this isn't 100 percent solution, but better thn nothing. 

ErikNy
Tutor
Tutor

I have already tried everything at least twice with my door bell and ultra camera. I have no activity zones any more. The camera and door bell has been reset several times and checked for updates the last couple of months but nothing solves this issue.

Even if this would have solved anything it would be bizarre that you would have to go to these lengths and actually removing functionality in order for the door bell to work.

I will claim a refund for this faulty equipment since Arlo Support several times has failed to provide a solution.

shancake
Guide
Guide

I don't want to speak too soon, but this seems to have been fixed for me this morning? I got a notification from my door bell even though I was disarmed. 

Ks5134
Tutor
Tutor
Has anyone else had any luck linking the ultra camera triggered by the audio doorbell?
brh
Master
Master

@Ks5134,

Last week I changed batteries in both my Pro 3 and 1 of my Ultra cameras and suddenly they both started working properly.

Brian

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation