Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
darkleafar
Apprentice
Apprentice

FIrst problem:

After one day of working, when you ring the doorbell it no longer calls anyone.

Also, the motion sensor no longer seems to trigger.

As of right now is a fancy looking button that rings my doorbell -_-

Second problem:

Even when it did call someone, it would only call me.  My wife has the arlo app and has grant access and she does not get the calls.

Third problem: Why was this not released with out of the box Alexa support?  It would have been a no brainer to have this call Echo Show directly and answer door call there.  When is this coming?

Thank you 

22 REPLIES 22
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Be sure your wife has the very latest arlo app on her phone.

Also:
In your Grant Access settings for the primary account, do you have the doorbell shared with the other users?

darkleafar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not at first, we realized later it was off. By the time we turned it on though, the Arlo stopped calling anyone altogether as stated on my first complaint

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

darkleafar,

Which mobile app are you using (iOS/Android)? What happens when the doorbell button is press (LED behavior)?

Are you logged in and is the mobile app running on your mobile device?

JamesC

randblair
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm facing the second issue as well. I have Arlo Doorbell set up and working properly on my account. I've granted access to the devices on my base station (including the doorbell) with my wife who has a separate account. The doorbell will ring my phone/app, but not hers no matter what I do.

RichRy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oem3409
Tutor
Tutor
Same issues. What's going on Arlo, this system less than a week old is becoming a nonstop problem. I've checked all the settings. It worked 3 days ago now it doesnt notify either phone or activate the camera attached.
Steveshepherdfl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too am having issues with it not calling consistently.  The initial setup went smoothly and the few tests worked perfectly.  Then the next few days have not called when people ring the doorbell.  I’m seriously thinking about returning it.  I’m going to try troubleshooting more.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately, Android's recent baterry-saving strategy causes apps to not get notification (or calls in this case) becuase the app is forced to sleep. I've set mine to not be optimized for battery life with little to no effect. If the phone has been awakened recently or is currently awake, the call comes through. Tough nut to crack and Arlo isn't the only one to have this problem.

darkleafar
Apprentice
Apprentice

I solved the issue by deleting the doorbell, doing a factory reset, and reattaching it.  Let's see how long it lasts...

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
How to do a factory reset?
randblair
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also did a factory reset and it seems to work, although now my wife's app keeps crashing (iPhone X). It won't stay open. 

You can Factory reset by holding down the sync button between the batteries (while it's on) for 10 seconds. Hold it until you see the light ring flicker definitively. If it doesn't do that, it hasn't reset. Took me an hour to figure that out yesterday.

darkleafar
Apprentice
Apprentice

It works sporadically. We have tested it a few times throughout the day after the reset and it its IFFY at best.  

Im afraid I have adopted this product far too early.  You guys released some half baked ass stuff

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I find that recent OSes use battery saving strategies that cause this to happen. Even setting Android to not optimize the Arlo app for battery savings I still don't get calls/notifications right away is the phone has been asleep. That's an OS issue, not Arlo. Other apps have the same problem.

If ths phone is awake or has recently been so the calls come through properly.

Steveshepherdfl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hopefully Arlo can find a solution to improve performance.

I’m on Apple IOS. What’s everyone else using? OS roll call......
RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hit and miss with Android 8 on LG G7. Works more reliably on LG running Android 7.
C0rk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I attempted the same, but now my system is refusing to FIND my doorbell to re-connect. Sheesh... what a mess.

RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Did you try deleting and adding the doorbell back to the base station?

Make sure that it is removed from the base when doing this.  You may also have to hold in the SYNC button between the batteries for a few seconds until the LED ring flashed quickly.

C0rk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Holding the sync button on this thing forever and not seeing the 'definitive light flickering' you mentioned. I don't know if any aspect of this product was quality controlled. Sheesh...

RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice

They recommend 10 seconds to reset the doorbell.

You might want to try restarting the base station as well. 

C0rk
Aspirant
Aspirant
Eventually got it to reset and rejoin my system. Still no resolution to the issue where calls don't get placed by doorbell press.
randblair
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update after about 3 days: I did eventually get things to reset. I was having issues with my wife's iPhone X crashing every time we opened the app. So I was moving devices between our two basic accounts and noticed that the cameras and doorbell in general sometimes struggle to "reset". You have to really hold that button for a while. 10-15 seconds.

But once I did that, it has been working reliably for me for the last several days. 

One tip - If you have granted access rights to someone else (spouse, etc) and their app keeps crashing, it's likely due to the two accounts each sharing cameras. My wife's did it in two different accounts, but once I removed all devices from her account and put them all in mine, then granted her access - her app has been fine. 

And we're both getting notifications when someone rings the doorbell. 

JB68
Tutor
Tutor
I've had the same problems and discovered the ONLY way mine work consistently. First make sure APP isn't being "Optimized", allow the APP to run in the background & unrestricted battery use, if Developer Mode is ON make sure you don't check the box NO background APPS, and finally the most annoying is that the APP on your phone has to be running! If you close it no calls, and I HAVE NOT figured out how to make it work while using the web to view live footage..
Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation