Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
speakinechos
Star
Star

Today I attempted to talk to someone through my audio door bell.  I didn't hear any audio on my phone (Android, Galaxy S8) but I could see the video from the attached camera and there was a connection.  Once the person left I checked the video play back on the Arlo site and found that the person at the door could hear me perfectly fine and was attempting to talk to me as well.  Seems like I just could not hear things on my end.  Is there a phone or app setting I'm missing?  I checked my phone's volume control and the "in call volume" was rather high, so I should have heard him just fine...

5 REPLIES 5
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi speakinechos,

Have you tried reinstalling the Arlo app and rebooting your Samsung Galaxy S8 phone to see if that helps?

speakinechos
Star
Star

I have removed and reinstalled the app a number of times for multiple problems with my Audio Doorbell and it has never been the solution.  I have also recently rebooted my phone several times due to phone firmware updates, also not the issue.

I have not had a chance to test the problem under more controlled circumstances.  One thing I did notice in the original exchange was that the person who rang my door bell walked into the small screened in area of the porch, pushed the button and then walked out of the screened in area.  While I could hear him talking on the playback that audio may have been being recorded by the camera's microphone pickups, not the doorbell.  How close does the person have to be to the doorbell to get proper audio pickup?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@speakinechos wrote:

While I could hear him talking on the playback that audio may have been being recorded by the camera's microphone pickups, not the doorbell. 

If you were playing a video in the library, then you were certainly hearing the audio picked up by the camera.  There's no direct streaming from the doorbell to the camera.

speakinechos
Star
Star

I had another opportunity to try to use the doorbell this weekend when a neighbor came to the door and this time they stayed close to the doorbell after ringing it.  I was able to hear them though they were very quiet.  Sounds like the doorbell's audio sensitivity is set very low.  Is there a way to increase this?  The people outside the door don't seem to have trouble hearing me through the doorbell, it's just the other way around, the microphone pickup is not very good.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If the audio on your doorbell sounds quiet, contact the Support Team so they can further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation