Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi all 

Ok I changed batteries in arlo door bell yesterday all synced fine to base station etc but none of my devices now ring when doorbell pressed..

i have tired resync many times & although the app/base station sees the door bell & led behaviour works as normal none of my devices no longer call...Sometimes the call screen briefly appears on iPad/iPhone for about .5 of a sec...

I have also reset base station etc but nothing seems to work when receiving calls from doorbell...So at the moment the door bell is useless, also never worked with Alexa at all but that’s a whole other issue...

Just being hopeful it’s a bug since last app update, only a week or so ago so may not of worked since then for all I know...

Any help appreciated as always...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi all
I can also confirm that as of today the door bell is now working with iOS...Many thanks to both community & Arlo for your attention to this...

View solution in original post

70 REPLIES 70
CameraMan168
Guide
Guide

Hi all, installed the Arlo doorbell over the weekend and everything worked fine, including calling my iPhone X.  Today got our first visitor ringing the doorbell, my paired camera recorded the motion as well as the chime sounding in the background... but no call to the iPhone.  I was at work so I actually didn’t know someone had rung the doorbell until afterward when I saw the notification of motion on my camera.  Sort of defeats the purpose of adding the doorbell since I’ve had the camera for a year now and it would have recorded the motion anyway.  Are others having the same issue?

thanks.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The phone being asleep can cause this. Setting the app battery optimization can help but may not totally fix it.

bobkeown
Tutor
Tutor

Having same issue.  Phone was awake at the time visitor pushed doorbell.  No reaction at all from phone and no indication from Arlo app that doorbell was rung.

CameraMan168
Guide
Guide

Happened again today.  My Arlo Pro camera that's always captured the front door, recorded footage of a delivery person ringing the doorbell.  But never got a call.  Phone was on and not on locked or sleep.  So since installing this on Sunday the Arlo Doorbell has been 0 for 2 in ringing my iPhone.  Can someone from Arlo please help look into this.  Thanks.

kavasc
Guide
Guide

Same here.  The doorbell will ring the chime unit, wait a few seconds, and then ask the visitor to press the button to leave a message which is recorded by the associated camera.

At no time did my phone ever ring.  

Could this be caused by not using the latest base station?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No but was your phone awake at the time? Battery savings is causing the app to sleep and not get the request to answer the call.

kavasc
Guide
Guide
The phone was awake and I was I the home screen.

I think the issue is that the phone ringing feature does not work when the chime is installed. I unplugged the chime and the phone rang.

Now, I think it is a big miss that this is not documented and that, when the chime is installed, there is no way to change the time between the initial doorbell press and arlo asking the visitor to leave a message. As a result, the system always asks to leave a message as I am answering the door.
CameraMan168
Guide
Guide

@kavasc wrote:
The phone was awake and I was I the home screen.

I think the issue is that the phone ringing feature does not work when the chime is installed. I unplugged the chime and the phone rang.

Now, I think it is a big miss that this is not documented and that, when the chime is installed, there is no way to change the time between the initial doorbell press and arlo asking the visitor to leave a message. As a result, the system always asks to leave a message as I am answering the door.

For me and testing at home on wifi, I do get the call with or whitout the chime plugged in.

But I completely agree that Arlo should allow us to adjust the length of time that the ring occurs on our phones.

kavasc
Guide
Guide
I hope arlo is reading this thread. My phone was awake and on wifi and, after multiple tests, I can either have the chime or can the phone but it seems I am unable to have both.
Wakey
Star
Star

There must be a bug with the app, bell or server. Very disappointed with this. When I installed it worked fine. Then when we had our first vistor today, it did not ring. Tried again since and it has rung. This means it is hit or miss if it rings or not- this is not acceptable. I have the app on 2 devices- an iPad and a Google Pixel and it doesnt ring on either when it fails to ring. This means there is a problem with the servers or the doorbell not communicating the press correctly either due to software or hardware- or finally a problem with the app- who knows! There are reviewers commenting on this on Amazon etc. . Either way not acceptable- this is a half finished product, it does not work well with chimes either- would not operate my battery chime at all.

I am a big fan of the cameras but this is a half assed product.

bobkeown
Tutor
Tutor

Totally agree.  I have had to sign and and sign in just to get the doorbell to work once, then the problem re-occurs over and again. Not acceptable to anyone. Great concept, but poor testing before it went to market.  This has been a horrible disappointment.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You should never log out of the app since it has to be running in the background to get alerts and doorbell calls. It's always been that way. Battery optimizations, however, have thrown a monkey wrench into the mix...

jmmmmh
Guide
Guide
Same! I was thinking about doing the full reset but will wait on this thread first...
Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice
Glad to hear it’s not just me....I have a feeling it’s a bug in the app/latest update we had a week or so ago judging by its current behaviour, all the resetting/resyncing we can do currently makes no difference.....as you say let’s see what happens
jmmmmh
Guide
Guide
Agree. My wife’s phone is exhibiting the same behaviour (both iOS, both latest app versions). The doorbell is still connected to the base station as motion detection from the doorbell initiates a push notification.
Over to you, Arlo...
AlanBale
Aspirant
Aspirant

Only had this device a week, was working perfect up until 16/02/2019. I tried removing the device and adding it, also reset the system but still not working. 

All I get when i press the bell is the tone on the door bell then it says "please leave a message" after a while. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I think that possibly the issue is the phone... have you deleted the app and then re-installed

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
AlanBale
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried that, no good.

AlanBale
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, since yesterday! I have started another thread.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you rebooted your phone? Are all permissions allowed in the phone settings for the app? What phone and OS?

AlanBale
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, yes rebooted the phone, also deleted the app and reinstalled. It’s an iPhoneX with iOS 12.1.4
Barkerda
Aspirant
Aspirant
I installed the door bell last week and it was also working fine up till the 16th. I tried everything to get it to ring on my iPhone X and couldn’t so got amazon to replace it however still has the same issue. I have been through all the troubleshooting steps with support tonight and on every iPhone / iPad in our house it has the same issue however when I tried it on my work android phone it works. So it looks like it is an iOS app issue
rovaldes
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same issue. I am not receiving any calling from my doorbell
kavasc
Guide
Guide

To date, it has been intermittent if it calls the phone.  I do get the notices on my phone that someone rang the doorbell after the fact but often that is the only notice.

My guess is that Arlo has all hands on deck trying to fix the 4K issues and deprioritizing most everything else.  

Discussion stats