Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Announcing the Arlo Audio Doorbell and Arlo Chime

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

Today we are announcing the all-new Arlo Audio Doorbell and Arlo Chime, built to work as a smart audio doorbell solution or to pair with Arlo wire-free cameras or Arlo smart light for a more complete view of the entryway. For more information on the Arlo Audio Doorbell and Arlo Chime, see our doorbell announcement and press release

We encourage you to post questions here regarding this exciting announcement, we'd love to chat with you about our new Arlo Audio Doorbell and Arlo Chime!

89 REPLIES 89
GimmeCoffee
Apprentice
Apprentice

There's no reason for the product to be "damned" either way.  Point being why limit your market to just people that want an audio doorbell?  When I first read the announcement and realized that they were not including video, my first thought was why do that?  They have some really good ideas working with this product such as the multiple ringers that can be plugged into various locations.  But in today's extremely visual world, it makes little sense to create a product like this one in audio-only format.  From a marketing perspective, they simply missed an opportunity to sell within a larger market.

oldstoneface
Guide
Guide

If they were truly reading these forums, they would have known that this was not the product people were asking for which is why the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" comment has no merit. No one asked for this and even if there was a market for it, they still did not give the majority of their customers what they were asking for, so we are still waiting for the "damned if you do" option as they are still on the "damned if you don't" phase. 

As to the full-duplex feature, I'm not buying that they didn't include the camera because they were focused on a full duplex design. Why couldn't they manufacturer a door camera that worked with the doorbell in full duplex mode, the same way it is going to work with the existing cameras?

alwayscur1ous
Guide
Guide

I really wish I was so heavily invested already in my Arlo solution. Arlo seems to be taking a modular/granular approach that is only raising costs for solutions unnecessarily. 

For example, Ring has spotlight Cam which combines a camera, light and siren into one package for $199 for a single camera. You save even more if you buy multiple. 

To get the same functionality from Arlo you have to buy an Arlo Camera listed at $220, an Arlo Security Light at $150 and a base station at $80. That's just insanity.

Now the doorbell is the same way. A Ring Video Doorbell costs $200 for battery or $250 for hardwired. To get the same functionality out of Arlo you need a Camera listted at $220 plus a Arlo Doorbell which who knows how much at least $100 is my guess. 

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

Your complaint about modular kind of completely ignores the fact so many have already invest so much and it could be extreamly price to replace everything just to get all in one solutions. Hopefully the modular pieces are a bit cheaper then the all in one prices for other companies components. You have to remember Ring hasn't been selling whole house camera security systems for years prior to releasing their outdoor spot and flood light products. 

Modular has it's plus's and minus's right. Think of it like this, If I already spent the time and money on a camera for the front door and have had it mounted with power I would potentially have a device that is waisted if they only sell the doorbell button with a camera. It is probably best if they do what others have said and provide a hardwired option with a camaera and one that doesn't. I would hope though that a hardware wired button that talks to the base station would be cheap as hell. It shouldn't cost more then $50 or so. The version with a camera should be compareable in price to Ring.

British8585
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I buy this now please ? I need a doorbell today

dennism808
Initiate
Initiate

But where's the camera tho? Smiley Sad

bubdog
Apprentice
Apprentice

Interesting idea. I would want one if it works well. This does feel like kind of a slap in the face to all the customers who are having severe problems with existing Arlo products. It feels like they are just pushing new things to market and not focusing on making their existing products work reliably.

Lexingtonian
Tutor
Tutor

Love the concept, don’t love the look. Wife didn’t like the Nest Hello either (too big). These need not look rotund like they were designed by Apple in the 90’s using 70’s bubble letters as inspiration. They stick out like a sore thumb. How’z about making it smaller and one that may actually look good on someone’s front door? (Thumbs Up)

Sentry_Turret
Star
Star

When will there be an Arlo doorbell with a video camera built in?

Thank you. 

Edit.  Nevermind.  I didn't see the previous discussion.

zimaka
Guide
Guide

How about some sort of notification on your Apple TV like "picture in picture" of a live view of your front door. Seems like it's too much to ask for from Apple.

oldstoneface
Guide
Guide

With Amazon's announcement of the Ring Stick-up Cam it would appear they are going after Arlo's core audience and I actually might jump ship as well. Arlo does not seem to be listening to its customers and continues to release pricey products that don't fit the needs of most of us users. I'm willing to wait a bit longer but should Arlo not release a doorbell cam in the near future, I will most likely be replacing my home camera system with Ring. That window will get a bit smaller should Amazon offer some discounted Ring pricing over the holidays.  

Sentry_Turret
Star
Star
I am also just waiting until the holiday season to see if Netgear can get its act together. If they don’t have a doorbell video camera option by then I’m going to jump ship and switch to one of the competitors who do .
zimaka
Guide
Guide

I agree. I was looking into the current camera ecosystem today likely to make a decision this week and while the Arlo battery camera’s were my favorite and potential choice, I didn’t like that they didn’t have a doorbell camera like their competitors. I’m looking more into the Nest Hello & outdoor cameras as a solution because of this. I saw the headline thinking I was done searching and would buy into the Arlo ecosystem now, but it seems they want me to continue my search. Hopefully a follow up announcement is imminent, or else I’ll likely be settling on the inferior Nest Outdoor Cams for the sake of having the Nest Hello. 

Bluestacks TextNow VPN

GimmeCoffee
Apprentice
Apprentice

I actually like the Arlo Pro 2 Cameras and they work (for me), albeit expensive, but they are working with some quirks. 

However, those that are considering Arlo as a solution and need it to work with their Amazon Echo Show products, keep looking.  Arlo Support, is functionally dead at fixing problems with the Alexa app.  They do not respond to customers in any reasonable way and worse than that, they are totally non-responsive to fixing the Alexa/Arlo app problems.  The issues have been reported for a very long time and the best that can be said is if you like the sound of "crickets", you will love Smiley Frustrated Arlo support on the Arlo app for Alexa.

Does the above apply to the Arlo Door Bell?  IMO, yes it does.  Arlo as a company doesn't really tap into the customer's impressions, nor react properly to pervasive problems that surface post sale.  Buying the Arlo Doorbell without a camera, or expecting product/app problems to get addressed in any reasonable time period are important considerations before making a purchase.  I'd love to be able to tell friends and family to buy Arlo products, but I just can't (in good conscience) do that while observing that they don't respond to customer's ongoing problems.

bjoggi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wow! How did this announcement go pass me??

I tried to signup for notifications about this new product, but I get an error saying:

“The result storage capacity has been reached for this form. Your result was not created.. please contact the form owner.”
gilbo2
Luminary
Luminary

When will this be available in the UK?

Stallard84
Star
Star
Will you be able to have 2 arlo doorbells that can both sync to a single chime? We have a front door and back door and would need 2 doorbells but wouldn't want multiple chimes.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Stallard84,

Yes, 2 doorbells can sync to a single chime.

JamesC

AnitaW
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you tell me when this will be available to purchase in Australia?

Joseph1418
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am so happy that there's finally a doorbell that is like the ring doorbell but has no camera. I have a house with a shared driveway and a side entrance that needs a doorbell but I never went with one that has a security camera because the camera would be beaming straight at my neighbor's house looking in their windows. And I wouldn't want that pointed at my house so I never got one. I have an Arlo camera pointing at my side entrance which works great. I know everyone will probably say why can't you incorporate one device that is all in one? But in reality separate devices do allow for a greater flexibility. Because one size rarely fits all.
dplawrance
Guide
Guide
There is quite a bit of right about the doorbell but it is not a hit at our house.. first, I can’t securely mount it as is without exposing the mess of previous doorbell installs. It needs a mounting plate that can reuse existing mounting holes. Nest does this well.

It might as well be a small egg. It can’t be flush mounted. It is plastic. It looks like a toy. It has a prominent logo. There is nothing about it that provides a finished look for a main entrance. It would take no effort , intentional or accidental, to knock it off its skimpily base, breaking the case. base.

There is no manual in the box or on line except for a brief installation sheet and video. It calls my phone (clever) but what if I don’t want that? Should I have to explore these pages to learn how to add a second user? The “how” is not online anywhere I can find, yet, though I did discover how to do this through the app (it is not simply installing the app on a second phone though that is a necessary step.)

Does the chime include full duplex audio? I don’t think so. Should’t It?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The chime is just a chime. The doorbell has full duplex audio.

dplawrance
Guide
Guide

I was being slightly facetious. If you don't happen to have your phone on you, then there is no duplex. I can turn many of my lights on or off with my phone. But, I use the wall switches 100 times as often. Every AV doorbell until recently came with a speaker and/or video display. Now, that is apparently is old fashioned and undesirable. Not even an option, requiring a phone or tablet that was not designed to be mountable. Eventual integration with an Alexa or Google device will address it, simply, hopefully.

Stottle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just a thought.... new to Arlo here.

If they made a video capable doorbell, it would have to be larger - and you probably wouldn't get the same battery life from it. Arlo does have a wire-free battery that is touted to last 6 months in their cameras. That was my main reason for going with Arlo in the first place. Second was higher resolution cameras. 

Just thinking that it may be a stretch to get comparable battery life with a video doorbell, full duplex, in a small stylish package.  I checked the others before I went with Arlo. Claims of up to 2 months battery life on the cameras ? Pfft !

I read many reviews and saw plenty of videos before purchasing. So far I'm pleased. I will not be used them in an armed state for much of the time, and have the power optimized - hoping to get the same stated life with this package. 

I got the package with the base, 2 cameras, and the doorbell. Time will tell...

RandyBorek73
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought the Arlo Chime.  My doorbell was always malfuntioning, so I replaced the door bell button with the Arlo Doorbell and bought the Arlo chime as well.  It works so well together.  So now I hear my chime and get push notifications on my phone.