Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

The brand new Arlo app has some new and expanded features. But it may also look like some of your favorite functions are missing. Not to worry! We didn’t take anything away. We just shuffled a few things around to make Arlo even easier to use. Here’s a quick guide to what went where in the new Arlo app:

• Modes & Rules: You no longer have to open a separate “Settings” tab to edit your Modes or to create a new Mode. Instead, you’ll now find all Arlo’s Mode functions, including editing, placed together under a single convenient “Mode” tab. For more detailed information, see How do I create and define Modes and Rules.

• Setting Length of Recording: You can now select the length of recording at a rule level. To set the length of recording, select “Mode” tab, then select the relevant mode, then click on the edit option next to the relevant rule, then click the edit option next to the “Record Video” option and then customize the length of recording by moving the slider. Remember to return to the Rule screen and save the rule in order to save the new setting.

• Changing Motion Sensitivity: To customize motion sensitivity, select “Mode” tab, select the relevant mode, then click on the edit option next to the relevant rule, then click the edit option next to the “Motion is detected” option and then customize the motion sensitivity by adjusting the slider. Remember to return to the Rule screen and save the rule in order to save the new setting. For more detailed information, see How do I adjust motion and sound sensitivity.

• Setting up schedule: To customize schedule, select the “Mode” tab, then select the device, then click on the edit option next to Schedule. Select an existing time block to make updates OR add a new time block by using the “+ Add” option at the top. For more detailed information, see How do I configure and use the Schedule option.

• “Select All” option in library: ‘Select All’ option is available while reviewing recordings in the library. To see this option, click on “Select” and you will see the “Select All” option.

Have more questions about Arlo? Check out our library of how-to articles , our library of help videos OR just pick the brains of the Arlo community.

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
44 REPLIES 44
Duh
Initiate
Initiate
Why don't you add a feature so the systems automatically arms when the device goes out of range then unarms when it comes back?
spygirl71
Initiate
Initiate
I have the iOS app and at first could t find the notifications. I click on mode ---> click on "on motion" and select camera---> scroll down a bit and there's a check box that you have to check to do push ntlificatoons. Maybe it's similar in the android app. Hope it works for you.
mdouthit
Initiate
Initiate
Sure wish you could change the alert sound Arlo uses when motion is detected. This has been a complaint since day one.
Mustang2007
Tutor
Tutor
This systems needs improvements. Seems like their software developers are geared towars what they think is right instead of the whole idea of the customers stand point. Ease of operations is the key.
For advanced featurs they should allow usbto control the base station. Alot like a managed device. It has a IP but there is no managment enterface. Not sure why there are usb ports? Can u use ur own storage?
Thanks1
Aspirant
Aspirant
The select and select all options in the library are missing
sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm assuming that will be corrected? Thank you.

Fernan67
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there anyway I can find rechargeable batteries for the camera is draining my budget
Fernan67
Aspirant
Aspirant
And I am not using the motion sensor on but is still in one month twice batteries already doesn't matter which one I buy The drains in less than a month
Jaspersmom
Tutor
Tutor
I can't delete videos any longer with the upgrade. My husband can. He is primary. My cell/app is second (friend base station ). Prior to the upgrade, we both had ability to delete videos. Is there a new setting that gives me the functionality again?
assenassociates
Initiate
Initiate
It might be a good idea in the future to informs users of changes before hand. I opened the app one evening and everything had changed. I realized all my settings had changed. Then it took me nearly a hour to figure out how to reset all my personal settings. Arlo also took away the ability to recover a deleted video. I loved this feature. I was able to go back a few days and recover a video that showed me how my dog injured himself. Might be a good idea to check with the users regarding what features we like before changing the app. Tech heads tend to think differently than us common users.
BlueArlo
Guide
Guide

Regardless of what they say, I have been using rechargeable batteries for months now with no problems until the upgrade.  After a few days after the upgrade and lots of complaining, everything is back to normal. The battery charge will still read zero on rechargeables but who cares if they work!

MJDATL
Star
Star
Still looking for the delete all recordings option?!? Don't see the select all in a drop down box...
newsshooter
Guide
Guide
Yes, the storage meter for premium users is gone too. I've also noticed the signal strength meter always shows "full strength" even if it is a weak signal, unlike with the old app version. It appears to simply be an icon showing the camera is sending a connection, not a signal "strength" meter at all.
Shiloh
Star
Star

assenassociates wrote:
It might be a good idea in the future to informs users of changes before hand. I opened the app one evening and everything had changed. I realized all my settings had changed. Then it took me nearly a hour to figure out how to reset all my personal settings. Arlo also took away the ability to recover a deleted video. I loved this feature. I was able to go back a few days and recover a video that showed me how my dog injured himself. Might be a good idea to check with the users regarding what features we like before changing the app. Tech heads tend to think differently than us common users.

I agree.  Hope someone listens.  This issues upset me also!

RKS55
Guide
Guide
Mine hasn't worked since the update occurred. I have no idea what to do to make it work.
RKS55
Guide
Guide
I can't get anything from the library and the "live" option shows video from days ago.
DuffOfAges
Star
Star

I have four cameras scattered around house an hard.  The signal strength icons on two of them show lower signal level.

kfishertx
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has anyone found the way to do a blanket delete of all non favorite videos?
DuffOfAges
Star
Star

Pretty straight-forward on the app, on a day-by-day basis.  Select Library, and the day you want to delete videos.  Touch and hold one, until it is selected, then touch any others you want to delete, which will select a group of videos.  Touch the trash can.

DuffOfAges
Star
Star

Rechargable CR123A batteries and chargers are available on Amaon.  Search for Rechargable CR123A.

MJDATL
Star
Star
Thanks for the post, still would like to be able to delete all non favorites rather than selecting by day. A step backwards in my opinion...this is just one of many conveniences now missing.
DuffOfAges
Star
Star

I am new to Arlo -- installed four cameras about a week ago at a remote location.  I think this is really cool technology.  But I have no experience with the older app, so don't know what is now missing.  I truly hope that NetGear is reading all these posts, and will respond positively to the comments about what is now missing. 

Maybe the usage meter is missing because there is no need -- unlimited storage -- but they have not said so.

I don't know yet about battery drain.  A week in, looking at camera video a couple times a day, no drop in the battery capacity icon.  But... There are some things to consider if rechargeables are desired:  Voltage is higher and capacity is a fraction of the non-rechargeable chemistry.  Make sure you will not fry your camera.  You will have to change the batteries more often.

Hey, NetGear, how about...

A wireless-conrolled IR illuminator for outdoor installations, so one can see a whole front or back yard at night?

Interoperability with Home Automation systems, like Smartthings?

Create an Arlo version of a doorbell/camera combination?

Theponce1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Enrique
I purchase re-chargeable batteries due to the high cost of a single battery. Life expectancy of a regular battery is about 20 days, at about $9.00 vs re-charge
About 10 days at $1.60 on Ebay
SherylQ
Guide
Guide

We are taking this system down & either throwing it away or putting it on ebay. I cannot tell you how disgusted I was when this app forced us to update the day before we left for vacation. The 1st day it said we were offline.  Now we don't get alerts & I saw no option for them. all this was while we were stressed out on vacation... the stress also came from calling your horrid customer serivce # that told us to call a different #, when we called the 2nd # the clueless person that basically just yea yea'd us.. transferred us back to the # that is just a recording.  This camera is now junk to us as it failed us when we needed it most.. all my reviews will be negative from this point forward.  We were happy at first.. now not even a little bit.. Home now, as soon as he can get the ladder up, it's coming down.

Discussion stats