As can be expected when any new technology first gets off the ground, Arlo has experienced a few hiccups earlier this week, notably several cloud service outages that may have affected your service.
We want to thank everyone in the Arlo community for your patience as we iron out these kinks. And we want you to know that the entire Arlo team has set the coffee maker to “overdrive” and is working 24/7 to prevent future issues and make your Arlo experience a great one. That includes:
- Adding more robust cloud monitoring
- Providing live Arlo cloud status
- Resolving battery reporting issues some of you have noted
- Fixing the low memory bug on Android systems.
We’ve also been collecting lots of terrific feedback from everyone on these and other things, and have some exciting new changes to announce as a result:
- First, the Sharing/Friend feature will no longer be a Premium feature but will be included with Arlo’s Basic Service
- Secondly, the Scheduler automation feature once offered only to Premium subscribers, will now be available to everyone as part of each Basic Service Plan.
These extras are coming soon and we will update you as soon as they are in place. In the meantime, please accept our humble apologies for any issues you’ve experienced since Arlo launched at the start of the year. You have our thanks for your understanding and, more importantly, for all the feedback we have received. We couldn’t make Arlo the world’s best Smart Home Security System without it and want you all to know that every single one is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, one and all!
Great news! Thank you.
Although receiving such news via email might have saved some squabbling over whether to return the unit within 30 days before the sharing ended at the end of that time period. I suspect most people do not look at the Arlo forums, so perhaps an email to all customers will set others at ease as well.
Thanks again for the great work!
This is good news. Will there be some sort of officaly document outlining the New Features. Our parents already returned the units. So when you have some document post it and we can give it to them and hopefully they'll re-roder.
Thanks for the update! I and many of my early-adopter friends want to love Arlo, so we appreciate the charge forward in making it awesome. One more thing to add to the bug list: Reaction time from motion sensing to recording needs to improve. Right now my recordings are catching mostly the tail end of activity (sometimes less)... Even with motion dialed up to 100. Thanks Arlo team!
Has the Arlo team considered a sampling mode for the cameras that would capture a single frame at a programmable rate of perhaps once per second to once per minute that is independent of motion detection? Obviously battery drain is a tradeoff, but such a mode would allow ongoing monitoring and provide
an alternative to the motion detection which can be problematic to achieve a good tradeoff in detection versus falsing rates for outdoor cameras.
Especially when on vacation or other vulnerable times, using such a mode even at higher battery drain rates would be helpful to provide improved security.
The camera could queue up as many frames as internal storage allows and then burst it over the WiFI link periodically as local storage fills up to minimize WiFi power. The power management systems available in the camera may have some limitations to implement this with effiicient power impact to the batteries,
but perhaps with clever software/firmware a reasonable solution would be possible.
just have a few issues that i hope will be address:
1. must have option to clear the recycle bin immediately instead of waiting for the 7 days that it will take to erase from the server.
2. please include an option to manually turn off the infrared light used for night vision as a lot of people use the cameras set up at the front door to monitor activity and to see who is ringing the door bell, usually behind a glass window of a storm door. during nighttime, the infrared light reflects off the glass and produces a glare that makes the camera unusable. the option to mount it outside is not always available or feasible.
Please read my thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Feedback/Necessary-Features-List-From-One-Dev-To-Another/...
I have compiled a list of very important features that this system should have. It is a small list, reasonable, and based off what the competition offers and what seems most demanded by the members of this forum.