Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

On MODE page why is my Smart Hub the only device showing

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Mike-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

On MODE page why is my Smart Hub the only device showing?

I have 7 Ultra 2 devices but on page MODE only the hub is listed so I can't schedule them.

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mike-C wrote:

Thanks but the point I tried to make in the last post was that the schedule only seems to allow setting one schedule at a time so after I set up the Indoor one and then try and add the always on Outdoor one, the Outdoor one is the only schedule I can see. The Indoor schedule just created is lost.

You are thinking about this the wrong way.  You CANNOT set up one schedule for indoor, and another for outdoor. 

You schedule modes, not cameras or groups of cameras.  There is only one schedule for the base, and that schedule tells the base what mode it should be at any given time.  The base can only be in ONE mode at any given time, and that mode determines the state of ALL cameras connected to the base.  So to get all the combinations, you need to 

• Schedule "Armed" when you want all the cameras armed
  • Schedule "Outdoor" when you want outdoor cameras armed and indoor cameras disarmed
  • Schedule "Indoor" when you want indoor cameras armed and outdoor cameras disarmed
  • Schedule "Disarmed" when you don't any cameras armed.

For example, let's say that you want the indoor cameras active only between 9 am and 5 prm, and you want the outdoor cameras scheduled 24x7. What you do is schedule

1. "Outdoor" from midnight to 9 am - arming only outdoor cameras,
  2. "Armed" from 9 am to 5 pm - arming all cameras
  3. "Outdoor" from 5 pm to midnight - arming only outdoor cameras.

Or perhaps also you want the outdoor cameras disarmed between 3 and 5 pm.  Then the schedule you want would be

2. "Armed" from 9 am to 3 pm - arming all cameras
  3. "Indoor" from 3 pm to 5 pm - arming only the indoor cameras
  4. "Outdoor" from 5 pm to midnight - arming only outdoor cameras.

For your example (indoor off from 6 am to 9 am, outdoor on 24x7) you schedule

1. Armed from midnight to 6 am
  2. Outdoor from 6 am to 9 am
  3. Armed from 9 am to midnight

You don't need the indoor mode for this schedule, because you never want the indoor cameras armed and the outdoor cameras disarmed.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The base is only showing as the cameras are connected to that base.

When configured to connect to the base station the mode selection can control all cameras under a single mode.

Schedule can then be used choose the wanted mode.

see

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them 

If you still have the original arlo app UI type you can make custom modes.

Mike-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

The link did not help explain how to show the cameras individually if that is what you are saying. When they get added from the app, they get connected to the base station. Are you saying there is an option to not connect to the base station so that individual cameras can be seen on the app?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mike-C wrote:

The link did not help explain how to show the cameras individually if that is what you are saying. 

Assuming that your app shows you "Library" as a menu option, and not "Feed"...

You schedule modes, not cameras.  And with Ultras, the modes are set up for your smarthub.

What you need to do first is set up custom modes.  

For instance, if you want to enable your outdoor cameras all the time, but your indoor cameras only during the day, then you'd set up a custom mode with rules for your outdoor cameras, but not your indoor cameras.  Let's call that "Outdoor".  When you enable that rule manually, then the indoor cameras will be disarmed, but the outdoor cameras will continue working.

Then you'd set up a schedule that uses the "Armed" mode during the day (enabling all cameras), and switches to the "Outdoor" at night.

So the basic approach is that you 

1. develop a timeline (on paper) that identifies what cameras you want to enable at various times
  2. Look at the combination of cameras you want enabled at every transition point
  3. figure out the custom modes you need for those various combinations
  4. schedule those modes as desired.

This is often confusing - if you provide details on what cameras you want to enable and when, then we can provide more targetted help.

Mike-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for you help, Stephen but this is a terrible software experience. I set up a mode for Indoor and Out and after I set the Out for always on, it lost the Indoor. Then I set the Indoor again and the Out is lost. Who knows what the "armed" default is supposed to do but it also just resets to "Mon".

This process is a mess.

Mike-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

...further to that, not being able to add images to this ticket makes it even more difficult to convey points.

Is there some way to set up a Teams or similar screenshare session with someone to assist? I have made a substantial investment in this product and it is not doing what I need. As a software engineer of 30+ years, I should be able to set up a simple schedule. How you expect non-tech people to deal with this when I can't even get it to work.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mike-C wrote:

I set up a mode for Indoor and Out and after I set the Out for always on, it lost the Indoor. Then I set the Indoor again and the Out is lost.

The base is only in one mode at a time.  And that mode controls all the behavior of all the cameras connected to the base.  Any camera that is not in the mode is disarmed when that mode is activated.  Therefore

• At times when you want all the cameras enabled, then schedule "Armed". 
  • At times when you want only the outdoor cameras enabled, then schedule "Out"
  • At times when you want only the indoor cameras enabled, then schedule "Indoor".

Also, you cannot schedule across midnight, so you need to create two entries for that (one entry ending at 11:59, the other starting at midnight).  There won't be a one minute gap, since the schedule entry applies through the end of the last minute.

@Mike-C wrote:

This process is a mess.

Not my design, I don't work for Arlo.  I'm just helping you understand how it works.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mike-C wrote:

...further to that, not being able to add images to this ticket makes it even more difficult to convey points.

This is not a ticket, and you are not communicating with Arlo support.  This is a user-to-user forum.  FWIW, you can embed png and jpg images (though that might require a higher post count than you have).  You can also include links to images.

If you want to access arlo support, use phone or chat in the support center of the app.

Though IMO you'll get a quicker (and perhaps better) response here.

If my previous reply doesn't help you, please give the details of what cameras you enabled at various times, and we can give you more tailored advice.

Mike-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the help, Stephen - I forgot it was not Arlo Support.

Mike-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks but the point I tried to make in the last post was that the schedule only seems to allow setting one schedule at a time so after I set up the Indoor one and then try and add the always on Outdoor one, the Outdoor one is the only schedule I can see. The Indoor schedule just created is lost.

It seems impossible therefore to set 5 indoors off at 6am to 9am while keeping the other 3 outdoors on at all times.

Thanks for your continued help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mike-C wrote:

You are thinking about this the wrong way.  You CANNOT set up one schedule for indoor, and another for outdoor. 

You schedule modes, not cameras or groups of cameras.  There is only one schedule for the base, and that schedule tells the base what mode it should be at any given time.  The base can only be in ONE mode at any given time, and that mode determines the state of ALL cameras connected to the base.  So to get all the combinations, you need to 

• Schedule "Armed" when you want all the cameras armed
  • Schedule "Outdoor" when you want outdoor cameras armed and indoor cameras disarmed
  • Schedule "Indoor" when you want indoor cameras armed and outdoor cameras disarmed
  • Schedule "Disarmed" when you don't any cameras armed.

For example, let's say that you want the indoor cameras active only between 9 am and 5 prm, and you want the outdoor cameras scheduled 24x7. What you do is schedule

2. "Armed" from 9 am to 5 pm - arming all cameras
  3. "Outdoor" from 5 pm to midnight - arming only outdoor cameras.

Or perhaps also you want the outdoor cameras disarmed between 3 and 5 pm.  Then the schedule you want would be

2. "Armed" from 9 am to 3 pm - arming all cameras
  3. "Indoor" from 3 pm to 5 pm - arming only the indoor cameras
  4. "Outdoor" from 5 pm to midnight - arming only outdoor cameras.

For your example (indoor off from 6 am to 9 am, outdoor on 24x7) you schedule

1. Armed from midnight to 6 am
  2. Outdoor from 6 am to 9 am
  3. Armed from 9 am to midnight

You don't need the indoor mode for this schedule, because you never want the indoor cameras armed and the outdoor cameras disarmed.

Mike-C
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. This helps clarify the logic it wants: no overlapping schedules since the base can only be in 1 mode at a time.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation