Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Ricknau
Star
Star

The Arlo Q FAQ page says it can detect motion up to 15 feet away.  If it uses changes in the video image as the trigger then why is there such a short range limit?  15 feet seems awful short.  Heck, my passive IR Arlo wire-free can often do better than that.

Has anyone gotten a better detection range in real use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ricknau wrote:

The Arlo Q FAQ page says it can detect motion up to 15 feet away.  If it uses changes in the video image as the trigger then why is there such a short range limit?  15 feet seems awful short.  Heck, my passive IR Arlo wire-free can often do better than that.

I think that's a mis-print as that's right for the Arlo but not the Q IMO. ( Netgear? )

1) I have found the ARLO camera's PIR works out to a max of 20ft+/- for people ( hi IR relectors (like cars ) at a longer distance )

2) I also use the Q camera and the pixel based detection for me works just fine out to 50 ft for a person walking across FOV ( btw, thru a window too )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ricknau wrote:

I think that's a mis-print as that's right for the Arlo but not the Q IMO. ( Netgear? )

1) I have found the ARLO camera's PIR works out to a max of 20ft+/- for people ( hi IR relectors (like cars ) at a longer distance )

2) I also use the Q camera and the pixel based detection for me works just fine out to 50 ft for a person walking across FOV ( btw, thru a window too )

Ricknau
Star
Star
Good to hear. Hoping to use a Q to trigger some Arlo wire-free cameras in this thread. (if possible)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Questions-about-merging-a-Q-camera-into-a-non-Q...
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, prob not direct trigger, but maybe a good IFTTT

Ricknau
Star
Star
Between you and jguerdat I have a "suppose" and a "maybe". That's encouraging. You guys seem pretty knowlegable. That puts me close to pulling the trigger. (With the understanding that it is only a "suppose" and "maybe"!) I will read up on IFTTT tonight. Have 3 days left in my 15 day Best Buy return.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Q motion detection range is good up to 50 feet. I will escalate the article referencing 15 feet and have this corrected.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention,

JamesC