Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Unable to connect my Base Station (VMB3500) to HomeKit

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
HelloAll123
Follower
Follower

I am trying to connect my arlo to my homekit, but I cant find Homekit under Setting -> My Devices -> Base station
I have tried, restart, remove, reset, unplug. I tried everything i could think of. The model number of the base station is VMB3500
Please help. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi HelloAll123,

Apple HomeKit will work with Arlo Ultra, Pro 2, or Pro cameras connected to Arlo Base Station/SmartHub for versions VMB4000, VMB4500, or VMB5000.

You can read more here about the requirements for Arlo cameras and Base Station/SmartHub to connect to Apple HomeKit: How do I connect my Arlo camera to Apple HomeKit?

emorris65
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wait, I'm really confused then. I just bought this model:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro-2/default.aspx

There's a big sticker on the page saying it's homekit compatible. I bought the version with just one camera. My base station says VMB3500, which I'm now discovering is not homekit compatible? Is that correct?

This is incredibly misleading. It should be much clearer that it's not the *camera* that needs to be compatible, but the *base station*. There is no indication whatsoever on your website about this.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The Arlo Pro 2 works with HomeKit but this will depend on your Base Station/SmartHub, which is compatible with the VMB4000, VMB4500, and VMB5000. 

I've shared your feedback to the team regarding this.

emorris65
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I understand that the base that I was sent (VMB3500) is not Homekit compatible, despite any lack of communication about this fact on your website. I understand only now that the Arlo Pro 2 is compatible with Homekit, but only if you buy the version with 2 or more cameras, in which you will get the correct base station.  I recommend updating your marketing material to make it much more clear that if you order the Arlo Pro 2 with only 1 camera included, that you will be sent a different, non-compatible base station. It is clear from looking at the community boards here that many others have been misled in the same way I was.

So next steps: How do i go about getting a base station that works with Homekit now that I no longer need this VMB3500 that is no longer compatible?