Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Stringify shutting down... Setting up certain automation with SmartThings? Tried IFTTT

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Lowcarber
Tutor
Tutor

Hi All - I have been using the Arlo Pro camera's for over 2 years.  I had an automation running using Stringify that would - From Sunset to Sunrise if motion was detected it would turn on my front door light for 7 minutes and then shut off the light (I had similar automations on all the camera's depending on where they are and what light I wanted to come on).  The rest of the time the camera's would work nomally and send me emails when motion was detected (with video recorded).

Stringify is shutting down and I was told SmartThings would do the same thing.  So I purchased a SmartThings Hub v3.  Yes, I can set up the automation in the ST app but it also changed the Mode in the Arlo app - to SmartThings mode.  While the light worked OK (it still came on during the day when motion was detected) - but it also stopped all recording during the day!  

I don't want the recording during the day stopped - I want 24 hour recording with motion.   I also want to use the Arlo's to trigger to turn on the light for a few minutes and then turn it off again.  Stringify was fantastic at this and worked flawlessly.

Has anyone set up this automation and if your's works and still also records around the clock (when triggered by motion) - could you please let me know step by step and what app you used.  I've also tried IFTTT but it will just turn on the light - I can't see a way to have it turn off the light again.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Lowcarber

1 REPLY 1
brh
Master
Master

@Lowcarber,

I have to leave for a little while, but in the meantime don't use the Smartthings Mode - it is buggy. Simply use the Arlo Armed Mode, use Smartthings routines to activate/deactivate and use Smartthings Custom Rules to have Smartthings sensors trigger the cameras to record. Also, also download the Smartthings Classic app. You can use both the Smartthings Connect app and the Smartthings Classic app as each has its own pros and cons.

If you need more help, let me know and I will respond when I return.

Brian