Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Simplisafe alarm integration to automatically arm/disarm Arlo.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
sj_baltic
Guide
Guide

FYI, you can get your Simplisafe alarm system to reliably control any IFTTT device, if you have a Nest thermostat (or you could use email. See below). I've been testing it today and it works! 

First, enable the Nest thermostat integration with your Simplisafe in your Simplisafe account. This will now synchronize your Nest thermostat to set "Home" and "Away" mode whenever your turn on or off your alarm. On your Nest, disable the "Auto-Away" feature that automatically sets "Away" mode when it thinks you are home and sets "Home" mode when someone walks by the thermostat (very important!). 

Then, have your IFTTT recipes use the Nest "Home" and "Away" triggers to control any IFTTT device. Here's a link to one that I have arming (and disarming) my Arlo cameras. There is no reason why you couldn't control any other device like a WeMo. [ https://ifttt.com/recipes/438715-simplisafe-and-nest-away-arms-arlo-camera ]

If you don't have a Nest thermostat, you can also have the Simplisafe alarm send arm/disarm emails to a Gmail account and have IFTTT scan your email to trigger and set your Arlos. But, in my testing, this isn't very reliable and annoyingly slow.

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sj_baltic,

This is good information. Thanks for sharing with the community!

JamesC

sj_baltic
Guide
Guide

No problem. I hope it helps some people looking for a similar solution.

BTW, this doesn't have to be Simplisafe + Nest specific. Just about every alarm system (and most IoT devices) integrates with the Nest thermostat in some way, but not all integrate with IFTTT directly yet or don't plan to. You can use this trick to make your Nest thermostat act as a home hub for IFTTT supported devices.

For example, just like my Simplisafe system, ADT security systems now support Nest thermostats, but not IFTTT directly. You can do exactly the same thing and have your Nest thermostat control your Arlos and other IFTTT devices.