Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Setting up Arlo on HomeKit Using an Ethernet switch.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Antipodean
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone been successful setting up HomeKit on an Arlo Pro 2 base which is connected to an Ethernet switch? We are able to see the base station and set it up for HomeKit if it is plugged directly into our Wifi transmitter (Linksys Velop) but because of the limited number of Ethernet ports on the Wifi transmitter we have set our devices up on an Ethernet switch. Everything is working fine with the exception of HomeKit set up - the base station simply does not show up. The indicator lights on Arlo are all green so it can see the network and the internet. All firmware and software is up to date. Setting up on iOS. Have tried several resets etc. no joy. 

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't use Homekit but the switch should have no bearing other than a very brief propagation delay. I use switches for various devices including Arlo with no problem. If you really think that's the issue, temporarily plug the base directly into your router (disconnect another device) to verify yay or nay.

Antipodean
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried both configurations. Plugged into the wifi directly you can see the Arlo and set up HomeKit. Plugged into the switch it doesn’t show up at all. We have even tried setting up direct plugged to wifi and moving to the switch after but it breaks the link and the cameras go offline. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Antipodean wrote:

I have tried both configurations. Plugged into the wifi directly you can see the Arlo and set up HomeKit. Plugged into the switch it doesn’t show up at all. We have even tried setting up direct plugged to wifi and moving to the switch after but it breaks the link and the cameras go offline. 

Is the switch connected to one of your router LAN ports?

What model switch are you using?

thorntonp
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think it's an issue with the Velop firmware.

I have had no end of issues with Velop and LIFX Homekit lights. Latest firmware 2.1.13 (released in March then updated 16/4 - still 2.1.13 just an incremental update) fixed LIFX Light issues, but broke Arlo camera Homekit.

I have a few Arlo cameras and they were working fine in Homekit prior to updating Velop firmware last night.