Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Security System Trigger Recording w/ Alexa integration

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Siehara
Follower
Follower
I have SimpliSafe, it’s connected to Alexa. So I wanted to know if I could set up my cameras to start recording if my security system goes off. I know SS and Arlo are not partners, however I’m interested to know if I could set it up through the Alexa connection to start recording if the alarm is triggered. Like SS tells Alexa and Alexa tells Arlo to start recording...

I will not have the interior cameras recording basically ever... too many pets.. however if their was an intruder, I’d want them to record... how can I do this. If Alexa isn’t possible, could I have the exterior cameras trigger the interior cameras if it suspects an intruder?

How about if exterior detects someone, then they enter the house, but we have geofencing on, and it knows we aren’t there... could that trigger interior recording?
1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

AFAIK you can't do anything via SS

@Siehara wrote:

I will not have the interior cameras recording basically ever... too many pets.. however if their was an intruder, I’d want them to record... how can I do this. If Alexa isn’t possible, could I have the exterior cameras trigger the interior cameras if it suspects an intruder?

How about if exterior detects someone, then they enter the house, but we have geofencing on, and it knows we aren’t there... could that trigger interior recording?

You can trigger recordings on the indoor cameras when motion is detected on the outdoor cameras.  But you can't arm the indoor cameras that way. 

You can filter out animal and "all other motion" notifications with Arlo Smart, which would help with the pets.  Recordings are still stored though.  Aiming the cameras higher might help, as would activity zones.  Inverting the cameras will reduce the motion detection at the bottom of the field of view (and increase it at the top of the field of view).