Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BigGuardDog88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Shopping for a security camera system that will work with my Ring Doorbell 2 and Samsung Smartthings Hub.  I would like to have one of my cameras face the street but only activate when the Ring Doorbell detects motion.  Can this be done with the Arlo Pro system?  

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You can with the Arlo doorbell...

Maybe with the ring/nest if you go thru IFTTT

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I don't know how Ring integrates with SmartThings, but if smartthings see the ring doorbell as a motion sensor, then you can add the arlo integration into smartthings and create a routine that says if the "ring motion sensor" detects motion then record on camera 1. If ring does not integrate into smartthings or smartthings doesn't see ring as a motion sensor, then you'll probably need something like IFTTT.

BigGuardDog88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  The thing is I already have a Ring Doorbell 2 which I have had for over a year and am very satisfied with.  My goal now is to find a camera system that integrates with it.

I ended up calling Samsung, who makes the Smartthing Hub and they said this could be done linking Ring and Arlo via the hub.  I guess I will go with the Arlo Pro which will be holiday priced at Costco.  If it doesn't work I can always return it.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

That's what I was getting at. Sorry should have been clearer, I thought you already knew about arlo integration in smartthings. I have Arlo integrated into my smartthings. ST sees the arlo cameras as cameras, switches, and motion sensors. I can setup routines using either the camera, switch, or motion sensor function of the camera to trigger other functions. If you integrate ring and arlo into ST and ST sees the ring doorbell as a motion sensor, same way ST sees arlo cameras as motion sensors, then you can setup a routine using the motion sensor part of the ring doorbell to trigger the alro cameras to record.

I basically use the SmartThings and Arlo integration to turn cameras on or off, and using arlo pilot, I have ST change the Arlo mode automatically, depending if I'm away or home. I don't have ST trigger recording though, I let Arlo rules do that.