Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have used IFTTT Date &Time channel to record at a specific time with the Arlo wire free camera with success in the past. Around the time of the latest update, it stopped working.  I even disconnected the channel and reconnected it making a recipe to record at a specific time the only recipe.  However, I have an Arlo Q and it still works with the IFTTT time and Date channel.  

Has as anyone else had this problem?  I have 3 different wire free cameras and none of them work anymore with the IFTTT Date and time record function.  

One other thing, the wire free cameras will arm and disarm with time and Date channel, but will not initiate the record function.  

Can anyone one think of a workaround?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is now working for me!! There was a November 10 update with Arlo listing bug fixes.  This may have been the fix because I didn't change anything in my configuration. I tested it with Arlo wire free and Arlo Q, both are working. It works with Time/Date applet and works from Camera to Camera recording.  Hopefully it's working now for everyone!

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Okone1,

If you can provide a link to the IFTTT recipe you are having trouble with, I will test this and see if I can replicate the issue.

JamesC

Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC,

https://ifttt.com/recipes/476783-record-arlo-camera-at-a-specific-time-each-day.

It did work with the Arlo Q, but is not working with wire free.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Okone1,

I tested this using an Arlo Wire-Free camera and the recipe worked fine, triggering at the requested time and producing a recording. I'm not sure what could be causing the issue, does the log within IFTTT indicate that the recipe is failing?

JamesC

Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC,

Thanks for for your help.  I'm now even more determined to see what is happening. The log does show the recipe is triggered along with a notification. I rebooted the base station and router (R7000). 

The camera is armed when the recipe is triggered.  App Version 2.2.0.  I have 3 wire free cameras and 1 Arlo Q.  The recipe does record with the Arlo Q.  Arlo wire free firmware is 1.2.7730 (no updates available). I have also ran the recipe with wire free camera disarmed as well no luck.

Is there anything different you see or ideas of something I could try?

Thnaks for all of your help

Okone1

Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just to add, I used IFTTT  to start recording if I turned on a wemo light switch.  It didn't work on the wire free but did work on Arlo Q.  I also tried using IFTTT to initiate recording on the wire free when the arlo q detected motion. It also failed to work. There is nothing that will initiate recording within an IFTTT recipe for the wire free.  Time/Date channel, wemo, or Arlo Q. This is even more frustrating because I can't get a back camera to initiate the front camera recording anymore.  This cuts down my coverage.  IFTTT will not initiate the arlo wire free record command anymore. 

Any help or ideas to try would be very appreciated. 

bigdaddybama
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem (I think) with my Arlo Pro camera. I have tried the "If Smartthings sensor opens, Arlo starts recording" recipe with no luck. I even tried my hand at creating my own recipe and could get my camera to change mode, but could not get it to record. I will be following this thread to see if someone has found a fix.

Thanks,

Mark

Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bigdaddybama, that does sound like the same problem.  I can also get it to do other things like arm or disarm, just not record.  I'm trying random things and if something works, I'll be sure and post here what I did.  

Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm not sure why, but my arlo wire free cameras are now recording based on time and date, and my Arlo Q has stopped working.  It was the other way around with the Arlo Q recording based on time and date recipe and the wire free not recording.  Weird.  Also, IFTTT just had a big update and recipes are now applets.  I'm test some new applets and I'll see what happens.  I may disconnect the Arlo channel and recreate everything in the new applet format. 

Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is now working for me!! There was a November 10 update with Arlo listing bug fixes.  This may have been the fix because I didn't change anything in my configuration. I tested it with Arlo wire free and Arlo Q, both are working. It works with Time/Date applet and works from Camera to Camera recording.  Hopefully it's working now for everyone!

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the link!!!

lpass
Aspirant
Aspirant

I used to have a recipe that turned on my wemo light switches whenever a camera detected motion. It worked for a while, but suddenly stopped working almost a year ago and still doesn't. I've done everything suggested by support, but it still doesn't work.  Arlo has a serious problem integrating with IFTTT no matter what they say.  I thought netgear was a networking company. If the camera’s night time recording ability was better I wouldn’t need this recipe. As it is now if I'm away I have to set my wemo switches to turn on and off at sunset and sunrise, which means my lights are on the entire night.  

I'm probably going to scrap Arlo altogether and go with a nestcam setup. They are more expensive and you have to deal with wires, but from what I've seen they work better.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

My Wemo still gets triggered on by the Arlo/Wemo IFTTT command but the Wemo timing programing unique to Wemo only does not turn it off after the set preset time as it should.  I do not understand why recreating the IFTTT command would not have corrected this.  If almost sounds like your Wemo switches either no longer are functional or they are not registered with your Wemo account.

lpass
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've tested the Wemo switches alone using other triggers and they work perfectly, but when I try to trigger anything with Arlo it doesn't work so the problem is definetly on the Arlo side.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

If your Wemo switches work with other IFTTT commands then I agree your Wemo switches are probably fine.  Have you tried using other commands for Arlo and IFTTT such as providing an alert when you have low battery power or calling your phone when it detects motion?   It does not make sense that the available Arlo/Wemo IFTTT commands would only work for some people.  I'm sure by now you have already tried registering your Arlo account with your IFTTT account or tried creating an new Arlo account.

lpass
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I tried using Arlo with other commands besides wemo, but they didn't work either. I tried disconnecting the services and reconnecting them many times.  Yesterday I removed the basestation and the cameras from my account and performed a hard reset on the basestation and then resynced everything, but that didn't work either.  I'm thinking that maybe a firmware update somehow damaged the basestation.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo trigger for IFTTT should be coming from your online Arlo account.  If your Arlo base is sending videos when motion is detected to your Arlo account then I would suspect your Arlo base is fine.

lpass
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting videos when motion is detected. I have no idea what to try next.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ipass, when initially setting up IFTTT for the Arlo to trigger a response from the Wemo you are asked for you Arlo account login and password.  Since your Arlo base is sending detection of motion videos to your Arlo account I highly suggest creating a new Arlo account as well as a new IFTTT command to see if it clears up your IFTTT issues.

lpass
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a way to delete my current account or must I create a new account using a differemt email address?

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

I suggest contacting support and follow the directions to insure they will continue to provide the free 7 days of burst recordings.  Considering your problem they should assist you.

lpass
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the 7 days of free burst recordings no longer offered?

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ipass, as far as I know the 7 days of free burst recording for up to 5 cameras is still being offered.  My concern was the 7 days free burst recordings offer may only be for original owners and I suggested you contact them to prevent the creation of an new account for the same serialized Arlo system from no longer being honored.  It pays to take precautions.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ipass,

Does IFTTT log a failure for this recipe under account activity?

JamesC

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC,

Great suggestion.  If there is a failure listed in the log then Ipass knows his Arlo account successfully submitted the Arlo part of the IFTTT recipe to the IFTTT site leaving his issue to be somewhere between his IFTTT account, his Wemo account, and Wemo device.  Ipass may also want to perform the check for each of his IFTTT recipes.