Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to turn on a light in a room after motion detect

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
francescoo
Tutor
Tutor

I'm new to Arlo and I don't know if / how is possible to do use the system to turn on a light in a room after motion is detected.

I already set up the system with 2 cameras; the 1st camera is looking on the driveway and the 2nd camera is facing the garden.

When someone walk in the garden or driveway the camera start recording and send me a push message.

I'm going to be in vacation for 2 weeks and I'd like to automatically turn on a floor lamp inside my house when a motion is detected from one of the 2 outside cameras and then turn off the lamp after 60 seconds.  (To show that someone is in the house)

I don't know if is possible or how ...

I found this product

http://www.belkin.com/us/F7C027-Belkin/p/P-F7C027/ 

but I need to use the app to turn on and off and can't be done automatically.

Any suggestion or other products ?

Thank you

Francescoo

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Right now there's no easy way to use the cameras to trigger another device that's not part of the Arlo family. Your only choice would be a separate motion detection light that has similar detection capabilities. I've had such motion activated lights for years and they're reasonably similar. A cat will walk by and usually turn on the lights at about the same time as the camera.

Netgear has mentioned future IFTTT capabilities but that doesn't exist now.

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

Hi jguerdat,

Can you provide context for "Netgear has mentioned future IFTTT capabilities"

All I see is that in the 'suggestion' forum they labeled this popular request as "future consideration".  Which means....one day....maybe....they will think about it...but not now.  Otherwise it would be labeled as "current consideration".

Or did you see them mention it somewhere else?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Other posts here have referenced comments from at least one place, perhaps more, that future IFTTT integration is mentioned.  I don't have those links but I think if you browse old messages in the Community Feedback forum you'll find a variety of threads with those comments. 

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

I posted a link to an article that quotes a Netgear manager announcing plans to incorporate IFTTT into Arlo in this thread:

hvns
Aspirant
Aspirant

Try using an IFTTT recipe that is triggered by receiving an email alert from Arlo to your gmail address. Then, have it switch on a wemo light switch, outlet, a device connected to a smartthings hub, etc. Go to www.ifttt.com and search for arlo to view existing recipes or create your own recipe.

francescoo
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you Netgear to add  IFTTT !!

I set-up the IFTTT between Arlo and a Wemo insight switch.

When my arlo camera start recording the Wemo switch turn on.

I create a rule on Wemo to turn off after 4 minutes but he didn't turn off; I reset and update the firmware but nothing he didn't turn off !!

I return and received a 2nd Wemo but I have the same problem ... basically Wemo is not working as advertised ( I already report to Wemo but no answer yet).

I know the problem is in Wemo and this is the Arlo forum but I would like to know from other users what kind of Smart Plug (with IFTTT ) you have and if you can turn off after X minutes has been on.

Thank you

Francesco