Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Kinkwong_tung
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to see if anyone has similar experience. I added Arlo 2 Pro Base Station into HomeKit. I can see the camera but there is no “Recording Option” for me to select.

I ensure all firmware are latest version and I have subscribed to iCloud+ already

60987C82-454D-4204-B355-8FCAE830AD1A.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Kinkwong_tung,

The "Recording Option" is part of the Apple HomeKit Secure Video and Arlo does not currently plan to support Apple HomeKit Secure Video but we will support a range of other features that will enable Arlo cameras to participate in the HomeKit ecosystem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
bgreig
Star
Star

Welcome to the hell known as ARLO!  Great camera's, but useless in the Homekit ecosystem!  My eufy cameras severely outperform the arlo cameras inside, plus eufy works with Homekit Secure Video!  I'm about ready to sell my arlo stuff on Ebay.  Sure, I won't have 4k, but who needs it?  

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Kinkwong_tung,

The "Recording Option" is part of the Apple HomeKit Secure Video and Arlo does not currently plan to support Apple HomeKit Secure Video but we will support a range of other features that will enable Arlo cameras to participate in the HomeKit ecosystem.

NYRik
Guide
Guide

I discovered the same thing today when my Base Station arrived. I set everything up (not 100% intuitive but pretty simple), and found no way to record or even turn on the light when viewing a camera through HomeKit. I assume Arlo doesn’t want to allow HomeKit Secure Video recording because there would then be no need to sell their monthly subscription service to store videos on the web.

arseasttle
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was so sorry to read the, AFTER I finally set up the Homekit. While I like the Arlo cameras and software, the two-factor verification has rendered the "security" aspects of the system useless. The time it takes to sign in over and over again, and the fact that I HAVE to have my phone with me if I want to receive a code while traveling -- and have reception/connection -- means that whatever's going on in my yard has already gone on by the time I access the cameras.

I was hoping the Apple Homekit might be an alternative -- the system alerts are instant, at least -- but I was also hoping to access recording so I could look back on all the visitors, and animals of course, that have come by.  It's another example of Arlo refusing to give customers what they've constantly requested.  Sigh.

Heretical99
Initiate
Initiate

Can I echo that. The only reasion I can see for not supporting ICloud Secure Recordings is it means the Arlo revenue stream for recordings might go away. It is a dealbreaker for me, I certainly will not be getting any more of the kit from them.

jarc100
Guide
Guide

well... I think I might as well return all of my cameras... they're pretty much useless. 

JBinAussie
Initiate
Initiate

Well, you just lost another Arlo secure subscription and a 5 camera user. You insistence that I pay for an arlo subscription by hamstringing your own software is typically shortsighted of companies these day where profit rules. I’ll be selling all my Arlo camera on eBay and buying proper HomeKit enabled cameras.