Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Arlouser78
Guide
Guide

Arlo casting to google chromecast is intermittent and slow. Ussually says stream unavailable or streams black screen. Please fix

42 REPLIES 42
Arlouser78
Guide
Guide
Arlo wireless cameras do indeed link with google assistant. Problem is that when asked to stream to chromecast it will first say stream unavailable, then if asked again it will USSUALLY show on screen. Seem as though it needs to wake arlo once before you can obtain a stream. Its likely a coding issue that can be fixed with an update. Also, you can easily arm and disarm using google assistant and ifttt.
Vik1471
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I just tried your suggestion and you are indeed correct. It is very unstable though and takes numerous voice commands. I am surprised a fix has not been issued, also I'm surprised that the functionality has been released with it being so unstable. The Arlo staff on the service desk said that wireless arlo cameras are not compatible with google home which was bad advice. Disappointed that the Arlo experts did not even know. 

Arlouser78
Guide
Guide
And their own website claims compatibility. Which is what I based my purchases on. Maybe not rush to jump on the google train to align with your competitors until you have a stable release.
zemerick
Aspirant
Aspirant

After the second command is issued, I get a screen on my TV that says "Smart Home Camera" and it just hangs there. This seems like an easy fix. Convert the stream to MP4 and dump to Chromecast. 

Donovangw
Initiate
Initiate

Having purchased a vms3330 Arlo Wire-Free camera system, I was disappointed to discover this is not yet integrated to google assistant like the Pro series. Your chat support team have suggested this is on the roadmap and could be pushed up the list of priorities if voted up here. PLEASE can other users with the same request vote for this issue.

Vik1471
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you convert the stream to mp4 on the tv?

Adam112233
Tutor
Tutor
This is ridiculous that streaming support via Google is still not supported on the original Arlo camera set. It's been months and months. Let's go Arlo!
lacoeur
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had IFTTT working perfectly until about two days ago. Then they started to fail. I tried to remove and re-add, got the same error message. I'm using the original Arlo Cameras and have tried it with a few of the Arlo applets - if it detects motion, turn on lights, arm and disarm, etc.

Arlouser78
Guide
Guide
Try using ifttt to trigger stringify flows. It is much more versatile and stable for complex automations.
AndyPandy0612
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the original base station and cameras and, while irritating, I understand there are no plans to enable Google Assistant for the original Arlo Wirefree cameras. I have bought a Google Home Hub and now consider adding an Arlo Pro 2 to my existing Arlo installation but I don't know if I also need to replace the base station or just the camera in order for Google Assistant to work?

Serchbdl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why the original arlo doesnt work with Google Assistant, have anyone tried to do it?
Edinburgh_lad
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have tried to do it and you're right, it doesn't work, although you'll notice that cameras respond to Google assistant as such, just don't cast the screen.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @AndyPandy0612,

You do not need to replace your Base Station to have Google Assistant work with your Arlo Pro 2. You can read more about it here: How do I connect my Arlo cameras to the Google Assistant app?

miknlsa
Initiate
Initiate
I made an early decision with a costly investment. It makes no since to drive us to replace just to use Chromecast or google home. Please advise!
40wattrange
Initiate
Initiate

I see a ton of posts about these not working - but I cant find a single answer on if they plan on supporting them in the future, or if they are not going to as its the lower end product.

Just an answer on "yes they will be supported in due time" or "no there are no plans for developers to add these features" would suffice.

Jakehann
Tutor
Tutor
Have there been any updates regarding this functionality? I’ve looked through every thread and I see that Arlo keeps mentioning that they will provide an update. But it has been months and there still hasn’t been any progress.

At the bare minimum, i think they should update articles like this that refer to there being a working integration:
https://kb.arlo.com/000062163/Where-is-the-Basic-Subscription-plan
KenMoffat
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can no longer recommend Arlo to friends, aince the older models are not getting the features I need. I understand your wish that we all upgrade to the new models, but I'm unable to afford that. I purchased a 4 camera system about 3 years ago, and am disappointed in the lack of added features. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We want to let everyone know that the original Arlo Wire-Free camera should now work with Google Assistant. We appreciate everyone's patience regarding this.