Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
hatrabbit
Tutor
Tutor

Yesterday I bought an Arlo Pro system and set it all up, and there's an issue I'm having.  The primary account is mine, and I invited my wife with 'allow access rights' checked.  We each have an iPhone 5s with location services enabled 'always' for the Arlo app.  The geofencing feature accurately knows when each person's phone "in zone".  The problem is that when I leave an my wife is still home the system arms, resulting in tons of videos of her waliking around the house.  

There are a lot of posts describing this same problem and it doesn't seem like a real solution has been found.  I tried all the things suggested in the posts I read (deleting & readding the apps, unchecking each phone, saving, and reenabling, etc.) without success.  This is kind of a huge deal for me, and is something I would think is a huge deal for the engineers at Netgear too.  Does anyone know if it's being addressed, or if a solution has been found?

7 REPLIES 7
hatrabbit
Tutor
Tutor

Ok, using SmartThings I think I have a pretty good workaround.  I created a virtual switch in SmartThings and set up a SmartApp to turn it on when anyone is home, off when nobody is home.  Then using IFTTT I toggle the armed status in the Arlo hub based on the position of this switch.  So far so good.

adicecca
Tutor
Tutor

That's great you have that fix...But you should not have to do that after you've paid big bucks for the system!

Netgear Eng. team should be all over this as this is a big option that the average homeowner wants.

You shouldn't have to be manually toggling your system every time someone leaves the house.

It should work instantaniosly.

I have the Arlo Pro and am thinking of returning it and purchasing the Nest system.

hatrabbit
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah I agree, geofencing should be a finished product if it's going to be touted in the advertising.  That's why I didn't click "accept as solution", so it would stay an open issue.  But otherwise it's been a pretty great system (I've had it a little over a week now).  The way I figure it, you're not going to find any system that meets 100% of your expectations.  

shaner2000
Aspirant
Aspirant

so you are recommending we buy another device to make this feature work? no thanks.

hatrabbit wrote:

Ok, using SmartThings I think I have a pretty good workaround.  I created a virtual switch in SmartThings and set up a SmartApp to turn it on when anyone is home, off when nobody is home.  Then using IFTTT I toggle the armed status in the Arlo hub based on the position of this switch.  So far so good.

PAJ0
Guide
Guide
I am experiencing this exact issue.
blockerjd
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased the Arlo system just this week and I am having the same problem.  I am the account holder and my wife is an authorized user with all access and geofencing enabled.  The Arlo account recognizes the location of both our phones as it accurately indicates when each one of us is in or out of the zone.  The problem is, it is only activated when my phone (the account holder) changes status.  So if I leave in the morning before my wife does, Arlo changes modes to 'away' even though my wife is still at home and the app shows her as 'in zone'.  Similarly if she gets home before me, the mode doesn't change from 'away' to 'home' until I get home.  Are yall still having these issues as well?

adicecca
Tutor
Tutor
Yes....still have same issue