Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 31 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
KingStrava
Star
Star

So I know this has probably been said 1,000 times before me but I just wanted to add another to the books in chances we might see this become implemented in these amazing cameras. Arlo needs to add the Geo Fencing location feature for auto arm and disarm similar to how the canary works. Because I'm a retail employee my hours constantly change so there is no way I can consistently use the scheduling feature. The ability to have Arlo arm itself whenever I leave for work, and disarm when I arrive home would make this unit 10x more useful.

Along with the geo fencing I would like the ability to use IFTT to create recipes that if motion is detected my Philip Hue lights pulse red. I can currently do this with an email notification but it is very unreliable in its current state. Last but not least I would like Arlo to team up with SmartThings so we can use the Arlo within that eco system. The ability to setup a sleep command that arms Arlo for the night while locking my doors, turning off my lights, and scheduling my coffee pot would be an ideal situation. Instead I have yet another application I have to tinker with before I can get a good nights rest.

I have no idea what Netgear is working on behind the scenes with Arlo, but a roadmap or some type communication would be ideal with its consumers. As a employee of Best Buy selling Arlo is an easy thing to do, but coming up with a complete home solution without this integration can be off putting to customers.

12 REPLIES 12
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KingStrava,

There are several threads concerning Geo Fencing and IFTT in the Arlo Idea Exchange that have gained traction. While I do not currently have any information on the release or consideration of such ideas I encourage you to kudo the existing threads or post a new thread there containing your ideas so that they get the exposure they deserve. If I find out more information on this I will be sure to let you know!

Thank you!

JamesC

platron
Star
Star

I've noticed that many [p]reviews of the Arlo Q mention that it somehow brings IFTTT and geofencing to the table.  Eg. http://www.gadgetreview.com/netgear-arlo-q-security-camera-price-specs-release-date.   Did someone in Netgear PR intimate this at some point, or is it somebody's speculation, just repeated by clickbait aggregators?  I also don't understand how features like these could be specific to the Q model, since the relevant logic isn't in the camera unit anyway.

Coriolanus
Guide
Guide

What's the point of Kudoing things if it doesn't seem like any of them are going to see the light of day?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You have no idea whether kudos will bring things to the light of day. It's one of those "if you don't play, you can't win" thangs.

platron
Star
Star

To be fair, there were only 9 kudos.  It's not entirely shocking that they didn't leap into action.

Coriolanus
Guide
Guide

In the Idea exchange, there are already dozens of suggestions for IFTTT support, some of which garnered nearly 200 kudos.

Where's that IFTTT support?

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Coriolanus wrote:

What's the point of Kudoing things if it doesn't seem like any of them are going to see the light of day?

I can report that a very interesting new feature has just been added to the Arlo system based on an idea in the Idea Exchange. It was recently marked "implemented" by a moderator.

The feature is to be able to record on two or more cameras given the same trigger event. Before, it was only possible to record on no more than one camera given the same trigger event.

So, Netgear really is listening to the users.

Usahqjcsin
Guide
Guide

Perhaps Netgear will listen to this...PLEASE INTEGTRATE Arlo with the NEST!

skelley
Tutor
Tutor

another vote for geofencing.  schedules don't work for my family and manual arm/disarm is tedious.

I would like to be able to geofence so that if myself or my wife is home, the camera are disarmed and armed automatically if we both leave the house.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
I think IFTTT-compatibility is in the works. I think it was mentioned in an interview in December or so.

Can only be a matter of months now.
MrSpock
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ifttt is now suported and geofencing works in 2 ways, ether direct with ifttt and android phone location or for multiple phones inteligently for one familly via 360life + ifttt.
I done it and its great.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

While IFTTT support is now available, we are still working on optimizing this feature. We recommend users wait until an official announcement is made before taking advantage of IFTTT.

JamesC​​​​​​​