Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 19 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
HB15
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does Netgear have any plans to offer an external siren?  Possibly one that can communicate wirelessly through the base, and work on rechargeable batteries, but could be mounted external to the home?  I tried setting off the alarm while standing right outside the front door, and I can barely hear it.  It might scare someone off that enters my home, but it's not going to do anything for someone lurking by the front door.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnnyFRX
Luminary
Luminary

Something like this may work for you for the time being?

https://ifttt.com/connect/arlo/dlink_siren

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JohnnyFRX
Luminary
Luminary

Something like this may work for you for the time being?

https://ifttt.com/connect/arlo/dlink_siren

HB15
Apprentice
Apprentice

Interesting - I will look into that further.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Rob1307
Tutor
Tutor

Dlink DCH-S220 works perfectly with the IFTTT, DLINK and ARLO Pro Apps. It's intended to be an indoor alarm siren, but I have one mounted under an eave for weather protection and it works just fine. About $50 and the size of a large soup can, but not as tall, it's really designed to plug into an interior wall outlet. Does not require a hub (unlike the other DLINK siren) and it's easy to set up. Rated at a max of 100db though, so it isn't real loud, but it's better than nothing and definitely noticeable when set to the emergency tone (has 6 tones to choose from).  AC powered only. The ARLO Pro system really needs to integrate a wireless OUTDOOR alarm siren. Battery powered preferred with an option for connecting to AC power if possible. The siren also needs to have much more than a max volume of 100db. Regarding the IFTTT app (download for free from the Apple app store), it will not allow more than one ARLO channel to be used, so if you have two Arlo accounts (to stay under the 5 free camera limit), you'll only be able to link one account to the DLINK siren. As an example, I have two interior ARLO Pro cameras on the same account and I can set each to trigger the outside DLINK Siren using separate IFTTT applets if either camera senses motion inside the house when I'm gone. In fact, you can easily create a separate IFTTT applet for each camera in your system as long as they are all in one ARLO account. Hope this helps.

carrielee2112
Initiate
Initiate

It says the outdoor alarm issue is Solved but it is not. Only a Dlink workaround was suggested -- and it was noted that the Dlink alarm connected thru IFTTT is *not*loud enough to scare away intruder.

A controllable accessory Alarm you could mount inside or outside would make this system very solid. 

Controllable because you don't want to wake the entire neighborhood if you are successful in scaring the burglar away with just a pulse or short blast of the Alarm. If the person persists, you could sound a louder alarm for a longer period so that neighbors will call police or be warned there is danger in the area.

Scaring away the intruder is crucial --because thieves often don't mind being on camera and they know that police never show up in time to stop them from stealing. A burglar who does not hear a loud alarm will simply go on robbing the house.

So the Arlo system needs a loud, outdoor, controllable-from-the-app alarm.

(Contollable as to volume and length of alarm blast.)