Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
FredEly
Guide
Guide

Is anyone having issues with the Alexa and Arlo. From the past few days, Motion detection from the Arlo Wireless Doorbell and Floodlight camera are not showing on Alexa Echo device.

I have set routines in Alexa to turn On/Off the Driveway and Garden Lights base on Motion Detection trigger from these cameras. Everything was working fine until the 16/17th August, but suddenly the Motion Trigger has stopped working. I can trigger the routines manually, but there is no automatic trigger.

Already tried all the basic trouble shooting steps mentioned in the below post, but still no luck. 

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Partner-Integrations/Alexa-echo-show-routine/m-p/1874462#M14971

As per this old post, this issue had happed before in 2022 and it was fixed by a Arlo moderator @ShayneS  , but there is no information on the actual solution. I have also spent one hour on call with Amazon customer support without any luck.

Also, for testing I  linked my Arlo skill to Samsung Smart things and the Motion Detection is working perfectly without any issues, so the problem is only with Alexa and Arlo integration. In my Alexa smart home device history the Arlo devices are now showing as N/A, so there is something wrong with the integration. See, attached image, of the activity log when the Motion Detection was actually working on the 16th August, but the device name is showing as N/A when I check now.

Requesting @ShayneS  and Arlo to do there magic again and fix this issue.

Screenshot_20240720_211255_Amazon Alexa.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The symptoms you were experiencing with Alexa and the motion detection should now be resolved. Please let me know if you are still experiencing this.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Samesame
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having an exactly same issue on my camera and Alexa. I copy FredEly wrote, and wish it’s going to be solved soon.

FredEly
Guide
Guide

I called Arlo support today and they are checking it. It would be best if you can also call them and report the issue.

Samesame
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. I’ll try too.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the report, Which devices are you experiencing these symptoms with?

FredEly
Guide
Guide

Hi,

I have this issue with both my Arlo devices. Video Doorbell and Floodlight Cam. See below.

1000040691.jpg

1000040689.jpg

HopperPilot
Tutor
Tutor

I am having this issue with my two Arlo cameras, one Pro 5S, and one Pro 4.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@HopperPilot Thank you

I am waiting for more feedback from the team. 

HopperPilot
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, @ShayneS. My last recorded activity was on July 17, 2024 @ 9:48PM EDT.

FredEly
Guide
Guide

For me, last time the Alexa and Arlo integration worked well was on the 16th of July around 21:31 Irish Time.

Please note in my original post, i have mentioned the date as 16/17 August, but i meant July instead of august.

Samesame
Aspirant
Aspirant

For me, the last motion signal recorded by Alexa was 18 July 2024, 10:19 JST. Next motion on the day was no longer recorded by Alexa.

FredEly
Guide
Guide

Any update to this issue @ShayneS 

I checked, the motion detection with IFTTT and its not working similar to Alexa.

Only Samsung Smartthings is showing Motion detection.

HopperPilot
Tutor
Tutor

@ShayneS, can we have an update? The loss of this functionality has had a significant negative impact on my home automation environment, and I’m certain this is true for others. Thanks. 

FredEly
Guide
Guide

@HopperPilot thanks for your reply emphasising the need to fix this issue. I am also having the same negative effect on my home automation system.

Anyway else facing this issue, please comment and also raise a support ticket with Arlo, let get their attention in this matter. 

HopperPilot
Tutor
Tutor

@FredEly, I'm not sure how to raise a support ticket. I contacted Arlo via their chat, but the support representative was unwilling to file a support ticket, and, among other things, told me to contact Alexa support. Argh.

FredEly
Guide
Guide

@HopperPilot call them on there support phone number specific ro your location.

Also tell them that this issue is a recurring issue and you have seen it in previous post in Arlo community.

HopperPilot
Tutor
Tutor

@FredEly, I just confirmed that deleting any activity zones associated with my camera caused motion detection to be reported to Alexa, so this might be an interim solution that will work for you.

FredEly
Guide
Guide

@HopperPilot , you mean by deleting all activity zones in the cameras.

I have 2 to 4 activity zone per camera, which is needed for me. But, i will definitely try this out and let you know.

FredEly
Guide
Guide

@HopperPilot , you are right, it worked. Deleted the activity zone enables the motion detection with Alexa and IFTTT.

But, this can't be a permanent solution. @ShayneS , any thoughts on this, please try to fix this issue.

Note - sorry for all the typos in my reply.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the additional info. I have provided to the team and I'm waiting for more information I can share with you. 

Jeremy-maybe
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo devices have stopped triggering my Alexa routines that are set to activate when motion is detected. I’ve deleted, reinstalled just about everything and nothing has helped. I found a thread in another media site saying they are having the same issue with no resolve. I know it’s not Alexa because I’ve created other routines with other devices and they trigger fine. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jeremy-maybe wrote:

My Arlo devices have stopped triggering my Alexa routines that are set to activate when motion is detected. I’ve deleted, reinstalled just about everything and nothing has helped. I found a thread in another media site saying they are having the same issue with no resolve. I know it’s not Alexa because I’ve created other routines with other devices and they trigger fine. 

Some folks have said that removing their activity zones resolved the problem for them.

Jeremy-maybe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. Removing the activity zones corrected the issue but know I have the issue of not having active activity zones. Hopefully that gets fixed soon. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The symptoms you were experiencing with Alexa and the motion detection should now be resolved. Please let me know if you are still experiencing this.

FredEly
Guide
Guide

@ShayneS . I have tested the motion detection with activity zones and it works on both my devices. Thanks for the fix. Could you please let us know what was the issue.