Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Searching81
Initiate
Initiate

I was wondering if anyone had any details about how the Z-wave features set to be enabled later in the year are going to work in the Ultra's SmartHub? There is very little detail in everything I've seen that mentions it.

I have an existing OpenHab home automation system including quite a lot of Z-wave devices, as well as other technologies (which is why I went something multi-vendor like OpenHab). I'd love the SmartHub to be able to talk directly to OpenHab for things like motion alerts and to set the arm/disarm mode, etc. This wouldn't have to be via Z-wave, but it does raise some interesting possibilities. However, I suspect Arlo are planning on making the SmartHub a standalone Z-wave controller, within an otherwise walled off ecosystem of their own, which will just interfere with my existing system.

The unofficial Python API and IFTTT are clunky ways to integrate Arlo into an existing system. IFTTT in particular is terrible for reliable home automation integration in my experience. I really hope Arlo does a better job than Ring at allowing integration into cross platform home automation.

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Searching81,

More information and an announcement will be made when this integration is closer to being available.

For more on this, take a look here: ARLO ANNOUNCES AVAILABILITY OF ARLO ULTRA 4K HDR WIRE-FREE SECURITY CAMERA SYSTEM

JamesC

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Homekit!! Almost end of q1!!!!
Searching81
Initiate
Initiate
Integration with a proprietary controller made by one company is the exact opposite of what I'm talking about. I'm already utilising Google Home integration, Homekit will be even more limited and ultimately not useful for more complex setups.
oblvnnwtnjhn
Aspirant
Aspirant

As an Iris refugee, this is good news as I am looking for a new system and have all the Z-Wave sensors in place. So if I read the annoucment correctly, Z Wave support is coming? I assume contact, motion and First Alert Smoke/Co2? 

Our needs are basic, 3 doors, smoke/Co2, cameras all self monitored.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know. We apologize for this inconvenience. The in-app popup message you received after the update is an error. We are currently working to resolve this issue immediately.

We are actively working to launch this capability and will let you know when it’s available.

JamesC