Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

The Arlo Pro and Samsung SmartThings integrate by creating a SmartThings mode, which can be used to switch the cameras off and on.  There is no functionality to use other modes, so things like GeoFencing are currently unavailable through the integration.

There is a bug in the integration that is well documented and spoken off frequently on the SmartThings forum: the SmartThings mode is initially set to send a notification on audio and motion, but NOT record.  Any attempt to change ANY setting in the SmartThings mode will eventually revert back to the original state at installation of the SmartThings mode, usually in one on/off cycle.

This severely hampers the usage of the integration, which even if it worked does not allow complex integration strategies.  The SmartThings staff appear silent and so far I'm not sure how to open a ticket with them.

There is a workaround (delete the SmartThings mode, put the Arlo cameras in the "Armed" mode, and allow smartthings to turn the cameras off and on) but again that's a workaround and still has severe limits to integration.

I've tried using IFTTT, which works slightly better and like SmartThings only has modest commands available, but there is horrible lag in my hands, and if you use Alexa for voice control, requires the use of specific phrasing which is not intuitive.

Netgear/Arlo staff, are you AWARE of the bug, and actively working with Samsung to remedy these issues?  Thanks so much for listening, you have a lot of frustrated integration enthusiests out there...

4 REPLIES 4
kevin4
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having same/similar issues with SmartThings and Arlo non-pro wireless cameras.  I have 4, 3 of them are working okay.  I have a rule for each in the Arlo SmartThings mode, the names are readable "email alert if arlo drive detects motion".  Inside each rule I have: if motion, do not record video, send email alert.  This lets SmartThings get motion detection and decide when to record.

On my 4th camera, if I try to create a rule for it, the name always changes to random characters.  Bigger problem is that the rule changes to record video and push notification. The motion sensitivity keeps changing to 80 also and  alerting frequently on my wife and I's phones.  I want SmartThings to decide when to record/alert based on its home/away/night/vacation mode.

Please fix this!  

I'm about to give up on Arlo because of the delays too.  When I check the video for false alarms I usually see no one in the video or maybe back of a head as the person walks out of view rather than their face as they walk into view.

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

Kevin, the Arlo cameras, in my hands and WITHOUT any integration with SmartThings, IFTTT and the Amazon Echo, now is pretty stable and does what I want it to do through the web or mobile phone app.  With that I'm happy.

What is frustrating is that the announced integrations come with such fanfare, but are horribly flawed and surprisingly poorly tested.  and the number of commands available across Echo, SmartThings and Arlo cameras is minimal (very few for the end user, I haven't dove into developer doc side of it yet).

Anyhow, we have a well documented bug for well over a month, and no response...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Boss281,

I have escalated this issue and have been informed that SmartThings is currently working toward a resolution. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

Boss281
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for that update, Kevin.  I think a stronger developer community is needed and it would be nice to see some consumer level or pro level toolsets.  I can help with testing defect correction candidates as well.

John