Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO 2 charging via a wall wart

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Alan-
Follower
Follower

I have read else where on this board that the only way to charge batteries is either by switching them out with recharged batteries or installing a solar panel.

I have a ham radio repeater installation up on a mountain that I frankly am getting frightened of climbing up ladders to change out batteries. And I really don’t want to spend 50 bucks a pop for solar panels that may not get enough sun.

So, being somewhat electronically inclined does anyone see a problem with me utilizing the 7.2 volt warts that I have and using the appropriate connector that would fit in the back of the camera ( the same on as the solar panel) making sure I seal around the connector with coax seal?   
Would applying 7.2 volts to the battery full time cause the battery harm?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't tell for sure camera model you mean.  Are you talking about the Pro 2?  Ultra 2?  Go 2?

@Alan- wrote:

I have read else where on this board that the only way to charge batteries is either by switching them out with recharged batteries or installing a solar panel.

No idea where you read that - the cameras can be charged by connecting them to an appropriate charger, and Arlo does offer outdoor rated chargers and cables.  

It is ok to leave the charger connected all the time.

@Alan- wrote:

So, being somewhat electronically inclined does anyone see a problem with me utilizing the 7.2 volt warts that I have and using the appropriate connector that would fit in the back of the camera ( the same on as the solar panel) making sure I seal around the connector with coax seal?   

I'd recommend using an Arlo charger.  AFAIK there aren't any cameras that use 7.2 volts. 

As far as the coax seal goes, many cameras have a button that releases the camera body from the shell that is right next to the connector.  Make sure that the coax seal doesn't prevent you from pressing that button.  Also, you should have enough slack in the cable to allow you to remove the camera body if needed (which sometimes requires shaking the shell).

@Alan- wrote:

I have a ham radio repeater installation up on a mountain that I frankly am getting frightened of climbing up ladders to change out batteries.

There are some other scenarios where the cameras might need to be taken down and resynced (or rebooted by removing/reinserting the batteries).  Just something to consider as you plan out your camera placement.  

FWIW, my own are all low enough that I can reach them with a step stool.