Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"Cameras" page and manual recording

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
HMishkoff
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just installed my wireless Arlo today, it's fun but seems to be spotty on motion detection. (I've followed all the tips and my detection is at 100%.) I've been spending a lot of time watching the camera feed live via the "Cameras" page on the Arlo website on my PC, and I have a question about the buttons at the bottom. Only the "Pan & Zoom" button tells you what it is when you hover over it -- is there documentation anywhere on the other buttons? They seem to be pretty easy to figure out, but I want to make sure I understand them.

One of the buttons seems to be a "record" button. Does this mean that the Arlo won't detect motion and record automatically if I'm watching the camera screen? And if I click on the record button, does it record until I click again, this creating a continuous streaming situation? If so, does this drain the batteries ridiculously quickly?

Thanks for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

HMishkoff wrote:

Just installed my wireless Arlo today, it's fun but seems to be spotty on motion detection. (I've followed all the tips and my detection is at 100%.) I've been spending a lot of time watching the camera feed live via the "Cameras" page on the Arlo website on my PC, and I have a question about the buttons at the bottom. Only the "Pan & Zoom" button tells you what it is when you hover over it -- is there documentation anywhere on the other buttons? They seem to be pretty easy to figure out, but I want to make sure I understand them.

One of the buttons seems to be a "record" button. Does this mean that the Arlo won't detect motion and record automatically if I'm watching the camera screen? And if I click on the record button, does it record until I click again, this creating a continuous streaming situation? If so, does this drain the batteries ridiculously quickly?

Thanks for your help!

Left to right - "magnifying glass" is the zoom level, || is to stop live viewing, "bullseye" is to start/stop recording, camera is to take a snapshot, "sun" is to set brightness of the scene, angled arrows are for full/normal screen view.

While live viewing any motion detection is off (check person icon at the top left of the camera for change of color to verify).  The only way to record a video while live viewing is to manually use the record button in live view.  After turning off live view, normal motion detection and recording resumes.

HMishkoff
Apprentice
Apprentice

When you manually record, how long is it supposed to run? I think I read 30 minutes, but the one time I tried it it timed out after 10.

And thanks for the info, I think I had most of it figured out correctly, but it doesn't hurt to hear from someone who actually knows what he's talking about. 🙂

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

HMishkoff wrote:

When you manually record, how long is it supposed to run? I think I read 30 minutes, but the one time I tried it it timed out after 10.

And thanks for the info, I think I had most of it figured out correctly, but it doesn't hurt to hear from someone who actually knows what he's talking about. 🙂

The max time for live viewing/record with the old SW was 30 mins... done to preserve batteries if accidently left on.

This may have been change with the new ( this weekend ) sw ,  it's unknown.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation