Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

my arlo excitement just turned to dissappointment

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
jeneferfer
Follower
Follower

I was all excited about my new Arlo system. It was exactly what I thought I was looking for...a totally wireless security system.  I have had it in my house for a few months, but just now really put it to my test. I had purchased this more as a nanny cam than a security system.  My husband and I had finallygot  go out on a date and realized you cant set it to record continuously from your phone unless you have a ton of phone data or are in a wifi area.  You can continously record from home, but if you try to look at the cameras from your cell phone, you stop the at home recordings--2 devices cant be logged on at once.  I wanted this to record the entire time while we were on our date, but that didnt work. You can set it for motion record, but you only get 10 second clips.     I am VERY, VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED with this system.     So, if you are using it for security, you will not get a continuous feed if something bad is happening.

6 REPLIES 6
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

jeneferfer wrote:

I was all excited about my new Arlo system. It was exactly what I thought I was looking for...a totally wireless security system.  I have had it in my house for a few months, but just now really put it to my test. I had purchased this more as a nanny cam than a security system.  My husband and I had finallygot  go out on a date and realized you cant set it to record continuously from your phone unless you have a ton of phone data or are in a wifi area.  You can continously record from home, but if you try to look at the cameras from your cell phone, you stop the at home recordings--2 devices cant be logged on at once.  I wanted this to record the entire time while we were on our date, but that didnt work. You can set it for motion record, but you only get 10 second clips.     I am VERY, VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED with this system.     So, if you are using it for security, you will not get a continuous feed if something bad is happening.

So, you bought a battery-powered camera system and you really thought you could record continuously for hours?

It always baffles me how little technical common sense some people have when it comes to buying gadgetry.

Here's the low-down: get rid of all of your Arlo wireless cameras as soon as possible. Watching the babysitter for hours is not what the Arlo wireless cameras were made for.

This is a motion-triggered system that is slated to record no more than four minutes of footage to last four to six months per camera. Anything else, like recording footage continously for hours will result in your cameras not surviving the day you activated them, because the batteries will die before the day is up.

Get the Arlo Q or some other manufacturer's.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Really no need to bash anyone.

Why be surprised?  Unless you know everything. . .then I stand corrected and I apologize.

Schorschi wrote:

So, you bought a battery-powered camera system and you really thought you could record continuously for hours?

It always baffles me how little technical common sense some people have when it comes to buying gadgetry.

-Robert
Rocky_604
Aspirant
Aspirant
There's no need for bashing, I am also very disappointed in the system. I bought it for its versatility, wireless feature and it's easy setup but found its motion detection is not strong enough. I have 3 cameras installed outside, one above front door works fine because someone has to stand there for more than a second but the other two cameras were installed on the side of my home above the gates and by the time the camera detects motion and starts recording, all u see recorded is the top of someone's head. I tried repositioning but the motion only works within 6-8 feet from the camera not the 25feet it says. I may have faulty cameras, but I would not recommend this product at this time, maybe in the future if they fix the glitches.
dgarciaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree.  I had the vue zone system and it was way better than this one.  It is constanty off line.  I have this at a cabin over an hour away from my home and I just can't run there and reset whenver it goes off line.  Very disappointed.  I have always believed in NetGear but no longer.  Wish I had kept the vue zone.  I purchased directly from Net Gear and will be asking for a full refund.

Boater
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having a very similar experience.

i have 2 cameras outside our vacation home and it seems that it takes about 30 seconds for the camera to "wake up" and start recording.  Last Sunday it picked up a woman walking around the property, but not until she was about 8-10' from the camera.  

I read somewhere that you can use the motion sensing of one camera to "wake up" the next one.  Does anyone know how to do that?

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Boater wrote:

I read somewhere that you can use the motion sensing of one camera to "wake up" the next one.  Does anyone know how to do that?

Sure, just create an additional rule.

So, to your existing rule

• When camera A senses motion, record on camera A.

simply add another rule (in the same mode):

• When camera A senses motion, record on camera B.

My advice: make sure all cameras linked to the same motion event (here: cameras A and B) are programmed to record at the same length. Otherwise, a camera ending recording before another will be blocked from reacting to another motion event (and recording) until the camera with the longest recording length has stopped.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation