Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jpad
Follower
Follower

I have one arlo camera setup outside (under cover).  Rules and modes have it set to record all motion with 80% sensitivity.  It used to record great and send notifications per my rules.  It suddenly has started to act up and does not record.  Running man is green, wifi is in range and battery is full.  what am I missing?

4 REPLIES 4
Inspector_Tim
Initiate
Initiate

Hello! I'm new to this as well, and only having the system a few days now, I'm not that impressed with several factors about these cameras, including your mention of device behaving badly. In a matter of 2 days, the exterior camera on my side yard became somewhat non-responsive until I pulled it down and pulled batteries out to reset (then worked OK). 

Also, the lag between records (I should say IF THE **bleep** THINGS RECORD) and any activity that may have or has already happened.

It would seem that late in the afternoon when the outside air is around 95 degrees, the camera's do not pick up motion... period! My son and I just tried to trip 3 of them, and the cameras all have full signal and battery,  but it's hot at the front entry, the garage is hot inside and the sideyard as well... neither one of them would trip until we were just a few feet from the camera, waving our hands 😄

As mentioned, one of the exterior cameras needed to have it's batteries pulled for a minute or two after being powered on for... for just between the first and second day... that's not very reliable. What's with these things?

I'm totally thrilled with the system, the cloud, the app.. it's all TOP NOTCH, however, the reason we have these devices is to record things if and when needed... not if and when the conditions are just right.

I'll probably return to the store and by wired cameras... ugh.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I can't advise you on whether or not to return the system. I can tell you that it was a very reliable system until around May 26th when a firmware upgrade started to degrade the system terribly. Spotty motion detection is something being reported all over this forum. I am one of the victims. I personally believe the system is better than what it is showing now and I hope Netgear can come up with a fix to bring the true potential of this product back.
Inspector_Tim
Initiate
Initiate

I went ahead and returned to Best Buy... 😞  

Picked up a wired Swann 4 camera type and installed this AM (took a couple hours to neatly wire/install), I'll say that the Arlo's app/system, recording/playback and alerts via the cloud is superior than the DVR, but... after just a day, you can log into the webview (or at the console) and the playback timeline gives little highlights to motion events..cheap/basic, but does just what it says

Having been on both sides of the track, so to speak, I'd say that the Netgear/Arlo system is better in every way, except for that it didn't seem to record very reliably... of which is the whole point??

I'm sure in the future.. the system will get the bugs worked out, didn't like the idea of being a 500 guinea pig. BTW, the second time I was at best buy, and looking around at what to replace the arlo with, the sales person said the only systems that don't regularly get returned are the regular BNC wired type..

Oh well, life's a learning experience! 

WishedItWorked
Initiate
Initiate

As I read through the chain of comments, two things are clear; wireless cameras, motion detect, record library and e-mail notification of movement are all features that send consumers to Arlo. I'm tired of the motion detect on the front door camera never working, which appears to be systemic from all the comments.  It's time for the Attorney General in one of these states to do what they did with the airbag failures, and hold Arlo responsible for fraudulent sale of consumer products.  This system costs hundreds of dollars and yet it is clear to the company that it's primary feature is a con job.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation