Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

motion detection - day vs. night

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Cymoril
Follower
Follower

Even though I have read the article on how Arlo works

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-does-Arlo-s-motion-detection-sensitivity-wo...

should there be a definite, working-as-designed difference in Arlo's ability to detect IR-based motion at night vs. day? Or should it (theoretically) be the same? I figure at night the general ambient temperature is cooler in most places, so you would think that heat-based objects would stick out even better than during the day.

Either way, if it is the case that there is a difference by design, this should be noted so users would know to adjust rules for their camera sensitivity accordingly. 😉

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While I haven't actually tested it my gut feeling is that I don't see a significant difference between day and night sensitivity. Whether that's actually true, I can't say.

CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, my motion detection has greater range at night, and I also theorized the same reason as you. At night I get a motion detection range of about 40ft. During the day, it is about 15ft to 20ft.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Supposedly it shouldn't have too much difference.. But eversince Arlo been tweaking the Firmware Updates.. The systems became very inconsistent that it's really hard to know now.. If you look around the forum and start tracing the history of motion detection issues when it started.. I'd say after the Month of April.. You'll see a great deal of people posting here that their system's suddenly degrade including me especially when setup Outdoors.. Indoors might not be too much difference..

CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

JPC wrote:

Supposedly it shouldn't have too much difference.. But eversince Arlo been tweaking the Firmware Updates.. The systems became very inconsistent that it's really hard to know now.. If you look around the forum and start tracing the history of motion detection issues when it started.. I'd say after the Month of April.. You'll see a great deal of people posting here that their system's suddenly degrade including me especially when setup Outdoors.. Indoors might not be too much difference..

How can we tell if we have the latest firmware version or not? Is there a page with release details?

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

@CloudHopper,

So far these are the latest that I know..

BaseStation:

FW: 1.4.2695

Camera:

Firmware 1.2.2688

We won't know until Arlo decides when they'll release it.. Basically it's a Surprise.. Just make sure your Auto Update is ON..

Details here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Release-Notes/Release-Notes-01st-July-2015/m-p/9220#U9220

bpg710
Guide
Guide

I find my outside cameras are more responsive at night but I think it depends on a number of factors like camera angle/position, outside conditions, lighting, etc. That's why I love yet hate this system. For the most part I get consistent recordings but there are times when Arlo really lets me down.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation