Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

geofencing will no longer work since you're logged out

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
BigRich911
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was thinking about buying video cameras for home security. After reviewing the different ones, I settled on these for a few reasons, one of which was that it wouldn't cost me anything other than batteries to run.

After installing a few, I realized the cameras didn't reliably automatically turn on unless something was moving inside of 15' of the lens. Covering a side of the house with one camera was out. No problem though, I got a deal on 8 so I had some to spare although I had planned on using the extra ones at work. That's why I bought an extra base station too.

So I'm trying to set all of these things up in front of my windows but it's not working. I can't sync them. I decide to pay for their cheapest subscription just to get things going. About 3 weeks later I've got all 7 cameras installed and their sensitivity tuned up just right so I'm not getting "false alarms".

A week later my subscription runs out and 2 of my cameras drop off the network. That's ok though because I had read up on that. You're only allowed 5 cameras per base station so I was expecting this to happen. I figured I'd set up the second base station and move some cameras over that one.

Tonight I added the second base station to the account. Unfortunately I couldn't get any cameras to sync to it. I googled my problem and found that without a subscription you're only allowed 5 cameras per account. Accounts are free so making another is no big deal.

I removed the cameras and the base station from the primary account, created a second account, and added those devices. All done.

So I've used more cameras than I thought were needed, used two base stations, and created two accounts. Guess what, it still doesn't work. As soon as I logged out on my phone of one account on the app so I could log into another, I get a message from Netgear Arlo- geofencing will no longer work since you're logged out.

So that's it. Without geofencing, this thing is useless as a home monitoring system. These are some greedy mofos in my opinion.

3 REPLIES 3
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Uhhh... what other apps still work with geofencing after you sign out of the app?

If you need geofencing (isn't it still in Beta anyway?), then you probably should just pay for the subscription if you need more than 5 cameras

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not greedy, just a business ....

You obviously knew that more than 5 cameras would cost extra but then complain about it later after the higher level expires....

Maybe you should look into Grant Access

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
BigRich911
Aspirant
Aspirant

What apps work with geofencing after you sign you out? How would I know? I'm not an IT wizard.

Clearly I didn't know it would cost monthly to run these cameras. I thought I said that in the my first few sentences and I'm willing to bet a lot of others weren't aware when they bought theirs either.

Pay for what??? What service are they providing? They made money running their business when i bought the cameras. You think an alert sent to my phone is worth more then the 1k I've already spent on these things? Get real.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation