Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

When is alert/email sent when motion is detected?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
arlomania
Tutor
Tutor

Hello.  Can someone explain the order of events? If I have video recording set to 60 seconds and motion was detected, what is the order of events that occur?

1. motion detected.

2. what happens here?

a) alert is sent before recording begins?

b) alert is sent after the 60 secs recording is done? What happens if intruder breaks cmera in 30 secs? do I still get an alert?

c) alert is sent some time in the middle? 30secs?

(since alert can mean phone alert or email, is phone push notification alert sent at the same time as email? or are they sent at different time?)

3. If intruder breaks camera before the 60 secs recording is complete, do I still get a recorded video up to the time the camera is broken?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It seems to me... C in my experience.

Also it seems Push alerts come first , then the email.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
arlomania
Tutor
Tutor

Hi TomMac,

How about  question 3? I guess we can try by taking out batteries in the middle of recording? This scenario is likely and the problem is that if the intruder is quick enough you will never get an alert or even a recorded video.

Also "a" for #2 would be the better solution, because at least you will get an alert and then can check your arlo app. If your camera status in the app is not updating, then you will know something or someone is tampering/breaking the camera.

If an Arlo member sees this post, can you guys chime in here? Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The answer to 3 is yes, you will get the video up to the time the camera is broken, removed, batteries wear out, etc. That would hopefully get you an image of the perp.

arlomania
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks jguerdat,

Hahaha, love the last sentence "That would hopefully get you an image of the perp." That was funny.

arlomania
Tutor
Tutor

Can we get a definite answer from an Arlo team member about when alert is being sent?

is it:

a) at the beginning of recording.

b) in the middle of recording.

c) after recording completes.

Hopefully it's at the beginning else its a bad design. The reason being is if someone sets a recording time of 2mins, you don't get an alert until 60 seconds or later. By that time it may be too late.

JohnR
Arlo Employee Retired

arlomania wrote:

Can we get a definite answer from an Arlo team member about when alert is being sent?

is it:

a) at the beginning of recording.

b) in the middle of recording.

c) after recording completes.

Hopefully it's at the beginning else its a bad design. The reason being is if someone sets a recording time of 2mins, you don't get an alert until 60 seconds or later. By that time it may be too late.

Hello arlomania, 

The Arlo unit sends notification(s) as soon as the motion is detected, so basically to answer your question it sends it at the beginning of the recording. This is the one of the advantages of the Arlo System to the competing brands. 

Hope my answer helps, otherwise feel free to ask if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

JohnR

Arlo Team

Thanks,

JohnR
Netgear Community Team
arlomania
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks John that is awesome. I must say, I'm really impressed with the system and what you guys have done. I will recommend you guys to friends. Thanks!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

arlomania wrote:

Thanks John that is awesome. I must say, I'm really impressed with the system and what you guys have done. I will recommend you guys to friends. Thanks!

And yes, BTW....

In the past I ran a test of recording and pulling the batteries ( its in an old thread here somewhere ).at 20 seconds of a 1 min record.

Recording continued to the point batteries were pulled at 20 seconds.

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation