Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What If a Robber Cuts The Internet?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
SalsaDave
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hardware:  VMB3010r2

Firmware:  1.8.1.1_10234

I guess with the Pro Base Station you can plug a USB hard drive in, but doesn't that still rely on being connected to the internet?  Do I point a camera at the most-likely cut point, and have no recourse if someone climbs the pole and takes out the internet there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If this scenario is a concern to you, I suggest you get the Arlo Pro basestation. You can replace your current base station or use it at the same time (but you won't be able to cross trigger between the systems)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Where do you live where robbers are cutting peoples internet lines and climbing poles? lol. If you're internet is cut, Arlo Pro will still record to the local hard drive plugged in because Arlo Pro uses it's own wifi network to communicate with the camera's.

SalsaDave
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for replying.  The first lesson in security is to not underestimate what someone will do to bypass it.  Just because robbers don't want to work for a living, doesn't mean they don't have technical skills to aid them.  

Also I posted my Base Station model, which is not a Pro, and I don't have proof that even the Pro will continue to record onto a hard drive when the internet is cut.  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

If this scenario is a concern to you, I suggest you get the Arlo Pro basestation. You can replace your current base station or use it at the same time (but you won't be able to cross trigger between the systems)

SalsaDave
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.  I will do a factory reset on my current base station, sell it on eBay, and buy a Pro base station.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Be sure to remove it from your account, too, so the new owner can add it to his own account.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation