AnthonyArmato
Luminary
Luminary

Unfortunately, yes.

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

I'd say define "delay".

The fact that arlo only starts recording when a threshold is reached, means that a certain amount of motion has to occur for a certain amount of time for it to record.   So there is that delay.   Changing the threshold in the settings can minimize it somewhat as long as you don't have a lot of normal movement that might trigger it.

This is different than the "Always On" type devices (ie dropcam) which can easily just go back a few seconds when a threshold is reached to include that with the video since it's always recording.  Of course this limitation is part of why we bought Arlo.....it doesn't have a Power cord, so cannot alway be recording.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I hope they come up with a fix for this soon.  I have been capturing a lot of peoples back sides since I installed this a week ago which does me no good.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Aquafella wrote:
Is video delay normal?

As others have said, YES!

With so many motion detectors, and the ones that I use for my smarthome products to activate my lights etc...  Which can detect and trigger whatever I want much faster than the Arlo, I would think and hope that Netgear can improve on this product.

I hope it's not wishful thinking for me.

-Robert

-Robert
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

RobertRosal wrote:

Aquafella wrote:
Is video delay normal?

As others have said, YES!

With so many motion detectors, and the ones that I use for my smarthome products to activate my lights etc...  Which can detect and trigger whatever I want much faster than the Arlo, I would think and hope that Netgear can improve on this product.

I hope it's not wishful thinking for me.

-Robert

I could'nt agree more.  As I stated before,  My $10.00 Flood light with motion detection works 1000X better detecting motion.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing that never gets mentioned is that these devices are battery-powered. I have no actual idea but it's certainly possible that such a device can't compete in speed of response withe an always-powered device. I, too, would highly appreciate much better response but the possible flip side is worse battery performance. If this is truly the issue which one would you choose to live with?

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

my flood light with motion detectors run on C batteries with a faster response time

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Guessing LEDS so low power consumption? Still, kewl!
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

jguerdat wrote:

One thing that never gets mentioned is that these devices are battery-powered. I have no actual idea but it's certainly possible that such a device can't compete in speed of response withe an always-powered device. I, too, would highly appreciate much better response but the possible flip side is worse battery performance. If this is truly the issue which one would you choose to live with?

Hi jguerdat,

Many motion sensors for smart home devices are also battery powered, and if you read the smart home forums, you will come to a conclusion that not all battery only motion sensors are created equal.

Complaints of delays have narrowed down the best to the worst motion sensors.  Response time needs to be there, especially if you are creating your own Smart/Security home.  I am almost done with my smart home project and believe me you can have a cheap sensor trigger things with a huge delay, or find a good one which is almost instantaneous.

Why I feel confident that Netgear has some wiggle room here to make the product better.

Well that's my 2 cents worth.

-Robert

-Robert
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Come to think about it....... all of my motion detectors for my Home alarm are operated via batteries.  (all of which have the capabilities of detecting a ninja).  its a simple digital circuit..... NO?  PIR motion detector dectects motion, turn on recording (Zeros and Ones, Zero off, One on, catch my drift.) 

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

I've posted a few times..but haven't got a response from those with issues yet.....

How are you determining the lag?

If you jump in front of your camera and count the passing seconds with your fingers so that it is caught by the camera......when you watch the recorded video at what point does it start?

I just tried on one of my cameras and the first image is at the first second. (I was right in front of it)

I would therefore guess the delay isn't in the camera recording from the motion activation trigger.....but in the trigger threshold itself.   If you test with blocking the camera with your entire image you will see it instaneously record.  If you are just a small part of the overall image and have to move alot to set it off then it's a threshold problem.

I'm not saying netgear couldn't tweak the threshold settings to make it react better to image movement.  

In the interim you could try increasing the threshold settings in the camera...and placing the camera in an area where the triggered motion takes up a larger portion of the screen.

Welcome your feedback.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Guess I'm out of the loop with smart home automation. Never looked into it. Good to know that there's a wide range of devices with varying levels of motion detection.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

StuBee wrote:

I've posted a few times..but haven't got a response from those with issues yet.....

If you jump in front of your camera and count the passing seconds with your fingers so that it is caught by the camera......when you watch the recorded video at what point does it start?

I just tried on one of my cameras and the first image is at the first second. (I was right in front of it)

I would therefore guess the delay isn't in the camera recording from the motion activation trigger.....but in the trigger threshold itself.   If you test with blocking the camera with your entire image you will see it instaneously record.  If you are just a small part of the overall image and have to move alot to set it off then it's a threshold problem.

I'm not saying netgear couldn't tweak the threshold settings to make it react better to image movement.  

In the interim you could try increasing the threshold settings in the camera...and placing the camera in an area where the triggered motion takes up a larger portion of the screen.

Welcome your feedback.

A:  From the street to my front door theres is a 15-20 foot driveway.  WIth the sensitivity set to 100 the 4 alert videos that I have, you only see the UPS delivery man on his way back to his truck. (FYI: his truck is not in the covered area)

The camera has 130 degree field of view, the PIR motion detector has to do a better job in detecting motion. PERIOD.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

jguerdat wrote:

Guess I'm out of the loop with smart home automation. Never looked into it. Good to know that there's a wide range of devices with varying levels of motion detection.

No worries, smart home automation is booming, as it's fairly inexpensive to set up.  Yeah there is so much out there, it keeps competition alive and the prices down.

From what my brother tells me, SmartThings is working with Netgear to integrate with the Arlo, don't know how true that is.  If so, that gives us Smart Home owners the ability to have a motion sensor and camera in one.  This opens up many things.  Once integrated, I can program something like this.

If Driveway motion is detected and it's dark turn on Driveway lights, record for 10 seconds, then turnoff lights in 5 minutes.  And if Driveway and FrontDoor is triggered, turn on Inside hallway lights.

I mean this thing can have endless solutions for the lazy man! LOL!

-Robert
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I have read simular articles in regards to Netgear/Arlo.

From what I know, Arlo is part of the AllSeen/Alljon alliance.  The arlo system is just the beginning of a a bigger picture.  I truely hope they get this system ironed out, it has great potential.

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Hula,

I'm trying to ensure that people are yelling about the right thing.

It's not a Lag as far as I can tell (from motion threshold reached to recording activated).   It's actually the amount of motion required to kick it off into the threshold set.

(theoritical example) 10% of the screen moving for 1 second might not be enough.  10% of the screen moving for 3 seconds might be enough...hence the tail end of the action being caught.

Hopefully these calculations can be modified by Netgear remotely, and not hardwired into the motion sensor.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation