Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
sensei_mitch
Follower
Follower

Is it possible to have Arlo store the video feeds locally on my NAS?  Stated differently, can you store to a local device instead of the paid cloud option?

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not at the moment. I agree that I'd prefer to store locally. Right now you have to manually download from the cloud after the fact.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Cloud storage is free in the basic (up to 5 cameras) subscription plan. It only becomes paid in the Premier (up to 10 cameras) or Elite (up to 15 cameras) subscription plans.

meb
Aspirant
Aspirant

So how do I manually download the videos from the cloud?  So far the only thing that I can see is a video if a motion alert gets triggered.

Thanks.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

You go to your library. Click on the desired video clip and choose the Download option.

meb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmm, I'm missing something basic here.  My basic plan holds 7 days worth of content right?  How do I see that content?  I.E. something that was not triggered by a motion detection (which isn't failproof IMO).  Do I need to click that record button that turns red? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup. You have to record something to be able to download it. You can see realtime video but its not recorded unless you tell it to do so.

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hm, not sure if you're not misunderstanding something. Arlo does not record footage 24 hours a day. If it did, it wouldn't last but a couple of hours. Then you'd have to replace the batteries.

Footage is only recorded and available for download if triggered by a motion event. If you stream live, that won't be recorded either, though there is an option to record live. So, if there wasn't a motion event, you won't have footage.

The seven days hold on video footage under the basic subscription plan only means you can access video clips that are no older than seven days. It does not mean you have seven days' worth of continuous footage available to view or download.

meb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmmm, I noticed that if you do hit record, let's say on the PC, then you access the app on, let's say your iphone because you got an alert,  the recording will stop.

Would be cool if it worked like my car dash cam.....If there is an "event" the video is captured for xxxx amount of time including 30 seconds before the event, then it is stored in a seperate folder on the SSD card so it cannot be overwritten.

meb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

meb wrote:

Hmm, I'm missing something basic here.  My basic plan holds 7 days worth of content right?  How do I see that content?  I.E. something that was not triggered by a motion detection (which isn't failproof IMO).  Do I need to click that record button that turns red? 

Meb... to be clear there is 3 types of recording.

1) manually record by hitting record (round button)

2) motion activative by turning on the motion activication ( mode ; ie all motion on )

3) schedule which turns on motion sense at certain times

7 days is the storage time of your recorded clips... so you have 7 days to d/l an event from when it happened.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Maxxodd
Star
Star
Arlo needs local storage to be a serious contender.
ximtropolis
Initiate
Initiate

I would buy a couple sets of these right now if it was able to store the data localy.  😞

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation